AVIC411.com

My new 3.0 impressions

The only thing I have to compare the F900BT to is the Lexus factory navigation system. If I were to rate the two comparatively, I would give the F900BT a 3 out of 10 and the Lexus system a 10 out of 10. It's a world of difference. I just don't understand why, after many many years of research and development, Pioneer can't develop a system which can compete with the factory navigation systems.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

honestly why do you guys need a rear camera... kill the kid that was running behind your car... evolution of the fittest :)

And if it was your kid that wasn't so fit would you shed a tear or even care?

Really we've driven without them for about 100 years. Mind you as the cars become safer there appears to be more blind spots as well as the American fascination with SUV's that makes backing up a challenge.

Pioneer with the F series fits the bill of "Jack of all trades and master of none".

Sorry you're not happy with your Avic. But I did the WinCE update and it did make a diference, Thanks for the tutorial : )

For the best and only real fix in the 3.0 update - just update WinCE for free and legitimately (at your own risk of course)

1. Download the 3.0101 update here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... port?tab=B

2. copy the WINCEIMG.bin and WINCEIMG.cks from the zip file onto formatted SD card or USB thumbdrive.

3. Disconnect any USB connections connected to your unit (Ipod, USB drive). Power it up.

4. When the pioneer logo comes up, press and hold the menu, map, eject and the reset button at the same time. When you hear a pop sound from your speakers, let go of the eject button but continue to hold menu, reset and map buttons. This will bring you to a blue screen where you will have to enter the service combination. Press the volume knob in this sequence and you will see * signs for each push: Up, Up, Down, Menu, Left, Right.

5. Once there, go to the option that says Update WinCE. Be careful with not to press the knob while trying to move up and down, or you might press the wrong choice by accident.

6. Insert the SD card or USB thumbdrive that has WINCEIMG.bin and WINCEIMG.cks on it

7. Select Update using SD/USB (*WITHOUT FORMATTING*) option.

8. Wait for the update to finish. When the prompt says to restart your unit, take out the SD, and enjoy faster button presses.

Props to GCL915, adamdenterkin,Retell and others for this (I compressed it to just do the Windows update).

If you somehow *magically* find the 3.0 software lying on the side of the road as I did, then go ahead and:

1. Download the 3.0101 update here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... port?tab=B

2. copy the WINCEIMG.bin and WINCEIMG.cks from the zip file onto formatted SD card or USB thumbdrive.

3. Disconnect any USB connections connected to your unit (Ipod, USB drive). Power it up.

4. When the pioneer logo comes up, press and hold the menu, map, eject and the reset button at the same time. When you hear a pop sound from your speakers, let go of the eject button but continue to hold menu, reset and map buttons. This will bring you to a blue screen where you will have to enter the service combination. Press the volume knob in this sequence and you will see * signs for each push: Up, Up, Down, Menu, Left, Right.

5. Once there, go to the option that says Update WinCE. Be careful with not to press the knob while trying to move up and down, or you might press the wrong choice by accident.

6. Insert the SD card or USB thumbdrive that has WINCEIMG.bin and WINCEIMG.cks on it

7. Select Update using SD/USB (*FORMATT*) option.

8. Wait for the update to finish. When the prompt says to restart your unit, take out the SD insert the testmode 2.3 SD card (download/file.php?id=7376) copy the actual testmode folder (not just its contents) to an SD card.

9. When in windows testmode, plug in the USB drive with the backup you downloaded in Step 1.

10. Go to start, control panel, Storage.

11. Unmount FlashDisk, and press FORMAT.

12. Once formatted, create a new partition and call it part0. Mount it back up.

13. Copy ALL files from USB drive backup to FlashDisk This should take about 40 min or so

14. Take out any SD cards from the unit and reboot.

Ahh if its already booted, then it takes mayb 3 seconds which is not so bad. But 99% of the time, the car is turned off before I kick it into reverse.

Start car, switch to reverse -- my camera comes right up.

Switch car, pick noseignore person honking behind you to back out already!, switch to reverse -- have to wait for system to boot before it switches.

fixed hehe.

Also, how does it take you 10 seconds to put on a seat belt?

Dunno... I put the belt on first.

Uh-oh. Followed the directions to update WinCE posted here and it seemed to work until I booted up my F700BT and now the system startup sceen remains. I can access my radio and SD music and my backup camera works but can't get the navi functions to work since it tells my to wait for system startup in progress.

I attempted to restore my last backed up and working flash disk and that didn't work. Attempted to reload the default backed up flash disk I had and that didn't fix it. I just now thought I'd load the firmware update 2.006 thinking surely this would fix it--but it didn't. I think I may have semi bricked this thing. Could I have downloaded a corrupt WINCEIMG.bin and or corrupt WINCIEMG.cks?

Help?

Uh-oh. Followed the directions to update WinCE posted here and it seemed to work until I booted up my F700BT and now the system startup sceen remains. I can access my radio and SD music and my backup camera works but can't get the navi functions to work since it tells my to wait for system startup in progress.

I attempted to restore my last backed up and working flash disk and that didn't work. Attempted to reload the default backed up flash disk I had and that didn't fix it. I just now thought I'd load the firmware update 2.006 thinking surely this would fix it--but it didn't. I think I may have semi bricked this thing. Could I have downloaded a corrupt WINCEIMG.bin and or corrupt WINCIEMG.cks?

Help?

You have to use a hacked ezrider to use the latest WinCE update.... or get the full 3.0 Flash Disk file I uploaded to turboss ftp

Thank you, thank you SK360--it was the hacked ezrider I failed to remember. It now works and I've restored my datazip and mods (except Guga's theme mod-which I'll have to figure out where I put all that stuff again).

Seems that the button pushes are snappier--but I'm not sure yet--just relieved to be back up and running since I'm one of those that has really enjoyed this unit-warts and all.

This is a helpful forum. I fall squarely into the paying $1100 dollars for mine and very unhappy. I made a decision to support my local dealer, who then wanted to charge me for the uninstall, and full retail and install for another unit if I wanted to swap! Then I would have to sell it for whatever on sBay.

So I have learned to live with it. It frustrates me to no end--not because it doesn't work, but because it does everything so poorly, and every step is more difficult than it has to be. Many people don't mind going through several steps to get to do something, but I do. It especially hurts because this unit has the potential to be freakin' awesome. So close and yet so far!

I had this vision (a delusion) that I would be able to get into the car, and say "audio: select CD" then "navigation: destination Dairy Queen" then after I am riding along, "phone: call Steve". Is this too much to ask? Apparently so.

I get used to the mediocrity after a while, then I borrow my sister's Garmin Nuvi and all of a sudden realize that the display is giving me useful information! Wow! I can even see time to go in the day time! I can touch the buttons! Wow! I can adjust the phone call volume.

Sarcasm aside, I do like the audio quality though I still plan on adding an aftermarker equalizer. The crossover and sub flexibility is great! I do like having a built in Nav system to get me out of New Orleans late at night, and I just leave the voice off entirely. The radio reception in my car is terrific. Even if balky, I do a lot of driving and being able to have bluetooth built in is much safer.

So, I can live with it, but would much rather have something better. It did not come close to meeting my expectations. I am not expecting much from 3.0, but any change is welcome. I plan to learn to hack it, and with the help of all the expertise on the forums may actually have some fun with this Nav!

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this.

Mark

Ok, so I tried downloading the files from the ftp://www.turboss.com and they didn't show up on my computer.

I sincerely apologize for my lack of computer program cloning and formating etc etc.

If anyone wants to walk me through it via AIM let me know.

sidewalksquare on AIM

I don't have much to give but if you have att cell phone I can hook you up on the back end.

Sorry again for being a noob!

G-

Well, to me, a Software Engineer with a Masters in Software Engineering and 8 years experience under my belt,

Then, as a software engineer, you should be familiar with rules 22 and 23 of the unwritten rules of systems engineering.

*Systems Management Risk. The systems engineering management of a large project is very difficult in the start up phase. Requirements are late. Of course they are late but engineering should never use that as an excuse and fail to conduct parametric analysis around expected requirement limits. Staffing is under the planned level. Design engineering is yelling for firm requirements as if the system engineer knows what the requirements are but just won't tell. The result is that the Chief Systems Engineer is under fire and may be replaced by a new person who is given a new longer schedule and increased budget and perhaps reduced expectation of results. This typical half life of one year makes some people cautious.

The Twenty Second Law:

Never go in with the first wave.

*More Risk. It is not clear that you can succeed if you are part of the second wave. Some projects are so difficult that an extension of the law is as follows:

The Twenty Third Law:

Never go in with the second wave either.

http://evansopticalengineering.com/Page00/sysenlaw.htm

:wink:

The only thing I have to compare the F900BT to is the Lexus factory navigation system. If I were to rate the two comparatively, I would give the F900BT a 3 out of 10 and the Lexus system a 10 out of 10. It's a world of difference. I just don't understand why, after many many years of research and development, Pioneer can't develop a system which can compete with the factory navigation systems.

I'm the same way. That navi and bluetooth works unbelievably well. Lexus really has it figured out.