AVIC411.com

Diaftia's Hybrid mods V1 - UPDATED: 12/1/09 FINAL

Just to give you the heads up, the mod is still giving me memory issues. Even with your mod in stock. I did not receive an error message but constant restarts when hitting the home key, which again is a memory issue, as when memory is at an end, windows restarts. I am wondering if it is conflicting with another mod that I have in the system. The weird thing is that this is the ONLY NAV mod that has any memory issues with my mods. I have used DPHursts mods and ALL of IDT's mods with NO MEMORY ISSUES! I will try your new mod and keep you posted.

To add to that you are the only one that is having this problem. How much free space on your flash disk?

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi friends,

I'm a new member from Germany here - reading a lot and using Diaftia's mod.

I have the same problem with the memory-leaks. Both versions (11/05 and 12/01) crashing short time after starting a new route. The Error is reproducible with "Simulation/Flyover" on my Avic F900F AND also on the PC-Emulator!

"Out of memory, Requested: -1185182, Cache: 487285"

I'm using EU-Version and TA-Maps of Germany.

All other mods are running well.

Hope Diaftia can find a solution for this.

Greets

One more to the memory-Prob:

I just tested and find out that the "Out of memory" ist connected with the "Scrolling next road-Name". I switched of this in the "Navigation Screen Details / Next info when navigating" and I get no "Out of memory" any more.

So Diaftia please look at this...

Thanks in advance!

Horizont

Just to give you the heads up, the mod is still giving me memory issues. Even with your mod in stock. I did not receive an error message but constant restarts when hitting the home key, which again is a memory issue, as when memory is at an end, windows restarts. I am wondering if it is conflicting with another mod that I have in the system. The weird thing is that this is the ONLY NAV mod that has any memory issues with my mods. I have used DPHursts mods and ALL of IDT's mods with NO MEMORY ISSUES! I will try your new mod and keep you posted.

To add to that you are the only one that is having this problem. How much free space on your flash disk?

I cleared abou 235mb of maps prior while troubleshooting this and it did no good. i still have about 250mb free. Could the ez rider be the culprit? I dont even know what one i have installed, just that it is good for buildings

I just tested and find out that the "Out of memory" ist connected with the "Scrolling next road-Name". I switched of this in the "Navigation Screen Details / Next info when navigating" and I get no "Out of memory" any more.

Thanks in advance!

Horizont

So, I am not the only one! I am sure that there are a lot of others too that are just switching mods when it does not work instead of spending the time to troubleshoot it. The problem related here is not 'scrolling next road name' because I get memory errors in different locations all involving routes. The problem is the cache size. Just by looking at the size of your DATA.zip compared to other NAV mods, yours is greater in size by about 40%. This in turn is a much more demanding program utilizing more cache than the other NAV mods. The program works fine when just using normally, but when putting in routes, trying to record info, putting in multiple other Data, it then just overloads the system cache. This was a big problem with Win 98 in the olden days. In the system.txt file you have 2048 cache under the 'debug' heading! What is that for? Can it solve the problem by increasing this figure to 4096? Me adding the ui_igo file in the DATA.zip, so that I can use DPHursts schemes probably also does not help matters as it utilizes cache as well, but I cannot do without his schemes as PIONEERs schemes are total garbage

Thanks in advance!

Horizont

So, I am not the only one! I am sure that there are a lot of others too that are just switching mods when it does not work instead of spending the time to troubleshoot it. The problem related here is not 'scrolling next road name' because I get memory errors in different locations all involving routes. The problem is the cache size. Just by looking at the size of your DATA.zip compared to other NAV mods, yours is greater in size by about 40%. This in turn is a much more demanding program utilizing more cache than the other NAV mods. The program works fine when just using normally, but when putting in routes, trying to record info, putting in multiple other Data, it then just overloads the system cache. This was a big problem with Win 98 in the olden days. In the system.txt file you have 2048 cache under the 'debug' heading! What is that for? Can it solve the problem by increasing this figure to 4096? Me adding the ui_igo file in the DATA.zip, so that I can use DPHursts schemes probably also does not help matters as it utilizes cache as well, but I cannot do without his schemes as PIONEERs schemes are total garbage

Thanks in advance!

Horizont

Finally other people are chiming in. Its better when that happens so I have something to go on.

My mods do have a lot of bells and whistles. Each of these bells and whistles does take memory to function. I think I might need to start setting them to off by default rather than on. If people want to start turning them on they can do so. I think with all of the bells and whistles I might be exceeding the limits of what the hardware can do. It is so odd that some people have this problem and some don't. I have been using my mods for months and have never once had a memory error. As you can imagine this makes it hard to troubleshoot.

The cache size parameter is one that IDT had in his mods. There is a default value, I am sure, if not specified. Feel free to comment it out or change it and let me know what happens.

As far as the file size is concerned this is partially due to 3 things. One is the audio files for the spoken warning. This is about 1.5MB. The other thing is some branding files that N-S-E-W put into the mods before I started modding them. He had mentioned to me that I might want to take them out since I include an external branding file. That is about 2mb from what I can remember. The other things are the menu images and other supporting images for all the cool screens. Cool screens are nice but they take images to render and those images can add up. I have not ran a lot of them through the igo image converter. I will try to do that. I think I can reduce the size of my mods by at least 5mb I am just not sure that will help the cache thing, but it might. If anything it will free up space on the units. I am not sure if BMP's being smaller translates into less memory used. If it does, that should help.

If anyone has any experience from a coding perspective on how to keep caches clear please chime in. I will be more than happy to go through the code and apply any techniques that make things more efficient.

I am not sure if BMP's being smaller translates into less memory used. If it does, that should help.

It will, but you have to be careful. Converting a 32bit bitmap to 24 bit will utilize less cache but the transparency that you have in a lot of your textures will be gone. As far as visual appearance goes, there is little affected between 24 and 32 bmp, so I would not try to mess with any bmp's with transparency. The others should be ok though.
Finally other people are chiming in. Its better when that happens so I have something to go on.

My mods do have a lot of bells and whistles. Each of these bells and whistles does take memory to function. I think I might need to start setting them to off by default rather than on. If people want to start turning them on they can do so. I think with all of the bells and whistles I might be exceeding the limits of what the hardware can do. It is so odd that some people have this problem and some don't. I have been using my mods for months and have never once had a memory error. As you can imagine this makes it hard to troubleshoot.

The cache size parameter is one that IDT had in his mods. There is a default value, I am sure, if not specified. Feel free to comment it out or change it and let me know what happens.

As far as the file size is concerned this is partially due to 3 things. One is the audio files for the spoken warning. This is about 1.5MB. The other thing is some branding files that N-S-E-W put into the mods before I started modding them. He had mentioned to me that I might want to take them out since I include an external branding file. That is about 2mb from what I can remember. The other things are the menu images and other supporting images for all the cool screens. Cool screens are nice but they take images to render and those images can add up. I have not ran a lot of them through the igo image converter. I will try to do that. I think I can reduce the size of my mods by at least 5mb I am just not sure that will help the cache thing, but it might. If anything it will free up space on the units. I am not sure if BMP's being smaller translates into less memory used. If it does, that should help.

If anyone has any experience from a coding perspective on how to keep caches clear please chime in. I will be more than happy to go through the code and apply any techniques that make things more efficient.

So where in the data.zip are these branding files from N-S-E-W in case I (or others) would like to remove then to reduce the size?

I am about to try out you V2 mod to see how it goes. Thanks for the great work.

Hi Diaftia, abb1,

I just tested without Cache-Parm and with 4096 Cache-Parm in "sys.txt". Always the same result: Out of Memory.

- it happend always at the same road-crossing (identical route)

- it seems it happend when try to display the next road-name in the top-field

- I didn't copy the content-voice

- I didn't copy the branding.zip

- it happend since your Change "scrolling road-names" in the 11/05 mod

--> it is running well when switching off "Display next road-name" ....

2nd test with MSN:

- same result: Out of Memory

Greetz Horizont

So where in the data.zip are these branding files from N-S-E-W in case I (or others) would like to remove then to reduce the size?

I can probably assemble a listing of the files added, but it would be time consuming and most likely won't change any of the memory problems. Bear in mind that the zip has lots of features in it. The sum of all may cause a memory issue or it could be something in one of the scripts causing some people to have problems. It may also be a crumb or two left over from a previous mod causing a memory problem.

I, and many others here ran the gurjon zip that had way more stuff and added about 80 mb to the drive and never had a memory issue. I still have that on my drive as well as my 10 mb zip and I've yet to encounter a memory issue.

I've also read that the scrolling roadshields, overhead road signs, building visibility and spoken speed cameras tax the system. Turn those all off and see if the memory issue still exists.

I can probably assemble a listing of the files added, but it would be time consuming and most likely won't change any of the memory problems. Bear in mind that the zip has lots of features in it. The sum of all may cause a memory issue or it could be something in one of the scripts causing some people to have problems. It may also be a crumb or two left over from a previous mod causing a memory problem.

I, and many others here ran the gurjon zip that had way more stuff and added about 80 mb to the drive and never had a memory issue. I still have that on my drive as well as my 10 mb zip and I've yet to encounter a memory issue.

I've also read that the scrolling roadshields, overhead road signs, building visibility and spoken speed cameras tax the system. Turn those all off and see if the memory issue still exists.

I agree. I think it might have to do with the fact that all of this stuff is on by default. I need someone with reboots to turn off some of the features mentioned and lets see if the reboots stop. I know things are functioning because I have had absolutely 0 reboots, along with many others. So I think its a features/resources thing. We already have one report of scrolling/shielded text being disabled fixing the issue for one person.

Hello!

I'm new here ;-) First off all sorry for my bad english. I'm german but I'll try my best.

I also have the "out of memory" problem.

Mostly it appears when the navigation system for example says "turn right" and I turn left.

It starts to recalculate the route and then it runs out of memory. The music stops. The only chance to get it working again is to turn off the ignition and turn it on again.

I use the diaftia V2 Mod in combinastion with the dpdurst schemes on a european F900bt running with software 3.01.

I hope there'll be a fix soon.

Greets

Heiko

Hi Alex. Harvey here. As you already know, I've been quite happy with your mods. I've only tuned in now & then to see what's been happening. Thought I'd bring you up to speed with my system.

"Out of memory' is an issue when you go off route & the sys has to recalculate (& I wish sam would just do it without saying it everytime). It starts a recalc, then freezes with an out of memory block. I just switch back to my xm screen & everything there works fine, but can not get back to nav. The only recourse is to stop, turn off the car, open the door (or wait 10min for the built-in time out), then restart. All restarts up fine. I'm not sure why, or where from, but my sys had Oceanic, Asia, & Africa maps in it. I deleted these. Still no good. Also, I don't have any builldings showing up.

Just a footnote for myself. Where is the code (I've tried several places to make changes, then back again to the original, because nothing happened) to fade out to off, or have it not appear, the record tracks button. I default to always record and turn off to see onscreen, but this pesky button just stays there. Any ideas?

Thanks again. And if you need help in anything I can do, I'll be glad to do it for you. I'm now off work for 4 months (this is nothing new. I arrange this every year, so it's not a bad thing). I love the additions though. We'll just keep tweaking until we get what we want. Thanks again.