AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 and Bluetooth on Sale IN STOCK!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let me say that I always write letters to “great companies to do business with,” with compliments on their sales team and products. We usually, very rarely have issues and we always can come up with a solution.

Stay far away from 6th Ave. I am in the process of contacting the Attorney General's Office in NJ (along with the BBB) for their unsavory practices. I was sold a package (I bought with the promise that all parts were on hand and ship together). I did not want to take out my head unit (AVIC-Z1) 4 times to do ONE install. Just doesn't make sense. The package came today (wish I was home) and only had the HU and the Sirius. Missing: install kit including harness, back up cam, Bluetooth interface.

I called 6th Ave. to send an RMA. I just didn’t want the hassle and I am very busy with work. The only box I opened was the outer package the 2 items came in. Not very nice of them to fail to tell me their products were never in stock and are not returnable.

Do research before “plunking” down your hard earned cash (I usually do). I don’t wish to bad mouth nor harm anyone. Just another lesson learned.
I'm sorry, but what did you expect from a low cost leader?

It amazes me when people freak out about the lack of service a company like 6Ave provides. It costs money to provide good service, and when you're selling product at a 10 point margin, there just isn't enough to go around to hire employees that get paid enough to really care, or to purchase and integrate the IT systems that are required to provide really good service.

If you want service, you buy from Crutchfield. They sell the product at full margin, and can afford to provide the best customer service in the business. Those of us that don't need the perks they offer can save some money by buying from a company like 6Ave, and to their credit, they never do anything untrustworthy or illegal (besides maybe saying something is in stock when it isn't, but I bet half the time the sales person doesn't know because their inventory management system isn't accurate enough to allow them to look at any given moment).

/rant off
skicrave -- would agree with you, not getting everything in one shipment seems a little . . . . petty. On the other hand, if they lied to him and told him they had everything in stock and that it would all ship out at the same time, well that's a little different issue. Honesty wouldn't have cost 6ave.com a single margin point. While it's quite possible that their inventory managment system is poor . . . I don't see how that is / should be DataAve's problem.

DataAve -- while this approach isn't easy, and will probably take more time than just waiting for the remaining parts to show up, if you're intent on being right or winning, this will work: Scour 6ave.com's web site looking for return policy and take a screen shot of it and print it out. Contact your credit card company and explain the situation -- get their opinion as to whether or not you're "in the right". If they tell you are correct, send 'official notice' to 6ave.com in writing (either via e-mail or certified letter) letting them know the situation and that you've spoken with your CC company and that you'd like an RMA immediately (set a date based on their return policy). Let them know that if they don't comply, you'll start charge-back proceedings with your CC company. The beauty of this approach is that if 6ave.com doesn't comply, and you DO charge-back via your CC company, the charge will be removed, and in many cases, all the work for getting the stuff back shifts to 6ave.com (in some cases, you'll get to keep it). YMMV, but this is my experience both as a consumer and a former bank/CC employee.
Being a B&M store on the East Coast, 6th Ave should honor their promises to customers, whether they purchase in the store or online. They've obviously lied to enough people here about the Bluetooth adapters, so this makes them a dishonest business AND a bunch of losers to boot.

skicrave - You make it sound like you've never shopped from an electronics retailer before. We're all glad to hear you had a good experience with Crutchfield, but the fact of the matter is, most of us here DIDN'T buy from them.

DataAve - I completely agree with you and wish you luck with your complaint against 6th Ave. :)
I usually have pretty good luck with online purchases, I guess it was my time to... Anyway, I make 99 percent of my purchases online, guess where I am not going. I never “sleep” with any one that didn’t want to be “slept” with. I am a pretty decent guy, and I like treating people the same way. I am the CUSTOMER and they wouldn’t be in business without us…it is all catching up to those kind of businesses – we just are getting fed up. I paid with American Express, I am sure they will help me out. I also wrote a snail mail to Pioneer Corp., they are an authorized Dealer. Never had any probs, so I am just guessing. The disgust of the whole situation; I never opened any boxes. It seems 6th ave is just not doing good business and they will dig their own graves. I have seen it a million times, when you treat customers this way; they will be history, sooner or later. Unfortunately, they leave a “wake (boating phrase)”.
Let me first make this abundantly clear; I'm not supporting their actions in any way shape or form.

That having been said, I own an internet based company, and I know that it costs money to do business. I love companies like 6Ave because they make it easier for me to to business, and I also hate them because they jade consumers against online purchases in the first place. But here's what I know from experience:

When you sacrifice margin to make a sale, you also sacrifice service. You can't afford to put the systems in place that need to be there. You can't afford to hire ethical salespeople with integrity and voracity. That's no excuse, but it is a fact of the matter, and that's why companies like Crutchfield exist.

Just to be clear, I purchased my Z1 from 6Ave as well, and while I still haven't received my ND-BT1, I haven't been charged for it yet either. Again, I'm not trying to defend them, I'm just saying that we all have choices as a customer, and anyone in business knows there is no such thing as a free lunch. You can't expect to buy a Z1 for less than many dealers pay and still get the best customer service possible, it just doesn't add up. That doesn't mean that you should be lied to, or that they shouldn't back up their return policy, but I have a feeling they're going to issue you an RMA, and immediately going to a charge-back doesn't always make for the best way to resolve a situation.

Sorry if you feel like I'm attacking you, or like I don't believe you. I think it's just prudent for consumers to take everything into consideration.

BTW, are you a wakeboarder, or just a boat owner?