AVIC411.com

AVIC D3 Bypass with PICTURE!!!

If it does it while completely still, then something isn't right with your mod job.

1. Be sure that pin is correctly in the right place. It should not come out when you tug on it.

2. Be sure your grounds are good. How are you grounding it?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Viewing from front seat is strictly prohibited" is what mine says, but it plays fine while still. I've been doing some reading - it seems that it would say this under normal circumstances... If it knows when you're moving and cuts off even with no parking break wire connected, why do they even have that wire?

If it does it while completely still, then something isn't right with your mod job.

1. Be sure that pin is correctly in the right place. It should not come out when you tug on it.

2. Be sure your grounds are good. How are you grounding it?

Connector seems solid.

Grouded yellow/black to same place on chassis as receiver ground and grouded parking brake wire under console to chassis. I hope it's not the fact that it is a May unit. At least it didn't burn it out as I was told could happen by one of the installers.

Update!

Reporting partial success. I checked my grounds this morning. It seems that when I spliced in my parking brake.... I did just that. I cut the wire coming from the receiver to the brake and I put the connector on the wrong wire...meaning I actually grounded the parking brake wire and not the receiver. F*%$!*% DUUUUUHHHH. I guess monkeys can do mods after all :oops: . I was very careful and still made a stupid mistake. In my defence it was getting late last night. DVD working standing still now. Will test driving mode when I get home from work this afternoon. I will report back. I'm feeling pretty good about it though.

OK, I just had my D3 installed with a bypass done by a professional (I don't do wiring) The unit tells me that the parking brake wire is installed incorrectly, OK, fine, and plays DVDs when stationary, but when I start to drive the car it gives the me warning screen about not having moving pics while driving. So, bad bypass vs. new unit issue? Manufactured March 07. How could it know I'm moving if it's not a new unit?

same issue the one i installed had, we ended up doing a new unit and it worked fine!

May unit GOOD with mod now that I grounded the PB wire correctly! Rode down the road and watched Jurassic Park today. I can see where it would be a major distraction especially when there is a lot of action on the screen. Much more so than wathching the GPS. Got my subs going too... another problem I was having last night. That turned out to be a grounding issue as well. :roll:

Now on to custom backgrounds.

Thanks guys!

May unit GOOD with mod now that I grounded the PB wire correctly! Rode down the road and watched Jurassic Park today. I can see where it would be a major distraction especially when there is a lot of action on the screen. Much more so than wathching the GPS. Got my subs going too... another problem I was having last night. That turned out to be a grounding issue as well. :roll:

Now on to custom backgrounds.

Thanks guys!

Good to know. Who knows the born on date mine will have.

Did it today on a May 07 unit. Works fine so far (just took a trip around the block at about 60mph). Very straight-forward and easy to do. I just spliced the mute wire directly to the green e-brake wire then grounded the single wire to the chassis (which my installer cut and attached a blue wire too I assume to confuse me as I asked him to keep the wires accessible so I could bypass it and he went into a big legal speel). Thanks for the write up, it was alot of help!

I would like to say that I've never installed a radio or connected a wire at any point in my life.

I purchased the radio last week at circuit city. Circuit City did the installation. To my dismay I couldn't watch movies or use the navigation while the car was moving. I went back to the store and the salesman explained the law to me. Being a computer geek, I figured I could find something on the internet to get pass this. That how I found the AVIC411.com website.

I read every article on here to get an idea of what I needed to do. I was really scared to try any of this, but I just said the hell with it and did it anyway. I used the flash presentation as my main source of reference.

I have a 2000 Lincoln Navigator and here is what I did to get it to work:

1. Moved the Mute wire to the location that is depicted on the presentation.

Let me tell you, that was the hardest part. I got the wire out with no problem. However, when I tried to push it into the socket above, the metal piece at the tip of the wire started to bend making it impossible to get it in there. Eventually the metal piece broke off. I freaked out, but then I remember reading somewhere on the site where a user experienced the same thing. I followed his instructions by stripping the wire and folding it in half and twisting it. I then stuck the folded, twisted piece of wire into the socket.

2. Grounded the Mute wire.

I unwrapped the electrical tape that Circuit City used to ground other wires used in the installation. These wires were black. The other end of the Mute wire in my installation still had a metal piece and a plastic covering on it. It looked like it was unused. I cut the metal piece off and stripped the wire and twisted with the other grounded wires. I taped the wires back up with the electrical tape.

3. Grounded the Break wire.

This wire was not labeled as a break wire. I could tell it was the wire because I followed it and it went towards the parking break. I could also tell by the light green color of the wire. I cut this wire and unwrapped the ground wires that I mentioned above and twisted the parking break wire with the other ground wires and re taped everything (Now that I know what I'm doing, do not tape the mute ground wire up until you include the parking break wire in it).

-----------------------

After all that I tested everything out. I drove on the highway and I could watch movies and work the navigation system. The hardest part for me was getting the radio to fit back into the dashboard. I guess moving all the wires around took up some space. I finally got it back in there after playing with it for an hour. I looked at my box and it had a date of May 2007 as the version date. So it seems that this By-Pass works for the May version.

-----------------------

Any of you who are more experienced in this stuff, please let me know if I've done anything dangerous or incorrectly. Again everything is working and I thank all of you in helping me get this done. Great forum!

Dennis