AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

It was definitely locked. I had to pay the $50 to unlock it. Since it did it so quickly they clearly know the master password which pisses me off that Toshiba won't tell me since it's my drive, my property.

I used MHDD to disable the password (DISPWD) but...

DISABLING THE PASSWORD DID NOT WORK!!!!

The drive was relocked when put back in the unit! Very annoying.

One very odd thing about the DISWPD function is that it kept telling me, "Drive must be unlocked before disabling password" but the drive was unlocked! So, I set a user password, and used the DISPWD using the password I had set. It said, "DONE" so I assumed it worked.

When I tried setting the password I never got an option for the master password so that really screwed me I think. The problem with MHDD is the guy that wrote it is Russian and whenever HdGuru.com gets into any real discussions the text changes to Russian and it's impossible to follow.

I'm not happy but I expected this so I do have the drive backed up on two different computers on four different drives. I'm just concerned now that I won't be able to lock the replacement drive. Not to mention I can't do any hacking until I go buy a new drive.
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cirbirus, you tried disabling the password on the stock drive? And that did not work? Maybe Pulp_Fiction disabled the password on his replacement hitachi drive and that did work. Could be a difference. Sorry it re-locked on you. Thanks for the information.
Pulp_Fiction, what is the exact model of the hard drive you are using that wasn't re-locked? You said Hitachi I believe, but do you remember the model or could you look it up?

Do you think that Cirbirus just disabled that wrong? Or do you think that the Z1 might be written to relock toshiba drives no matter what.

I found this one on newegg:

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822149040]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822149040[/url]

It's an automotive drive, I don't know if that's as important as some might think. But if it's going to just re-lock I'll buy whatever you used which seems to not re-lock.
[quote name="Cirbirus"]Yeah, I only have the stock HDD right now, didn't want to have to drive 60 miles to go get a new drive when I'm still not done with the install. (still have reverse camera and iPod to install)[/quote]

That might be the difference. What is the brand of the hdd in the unit stock? Toshiba? If so, we might not want to buy toshiba drives as replacements. They might re-lock. Where the Hitachi Pulp_Fiction is using might allow you to disable locking.

(I don't know this for sure yet people! Don't all go out buying Hitachi drives on what I say. Wait for Pulp Fiction and Cirbirus to confim this stuff.)
[quote name="ducatiboy"]Cirbirus, you tried disabling the password on the stock drive? And that did not work? Maybe Pulp_Fiction disabled the password on his replacement hitachi drive and that did work. Could be a difference. Sorry it re-locked on you. Thanks for the information.[/quote]

Guys...I found this post by Pulp....

[i]"I used a Hitachi drive. 80GB.

It supports locking but I disabled the security feature set prior to inserting the drive in the Z1. It WILL get locked if you don't do this.

Use MHDD to disable the lock. I posted the info on this here already somewhere....."[/i]

I remember him going into detail on this...I can't find his posts on it however. It's here somewhere.....
Yeah, but each model is differnt and I did unlock and disable locking on the stock drive but I was unable to disable locking using the master password. I also was unable to SET the master password on that drive.

This could be because I don't know what I'm doing, which is often the case, but I [b]think [/b]I got it right.

That's why I want to know the exact model he used so if I screw it up I know it's all my fault.
In a nutshell you need to use the "config" command in MHDD and disable the security features. Just disabling the lock does not deactive the ability to lock the drive.

I guess I will write a tutorial on the whole procedure used and get it stickied. I figure we have gotten far enough on this where a summary is in order.

Pulp
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]In a nutshell you need to use the "config" command in MHDD and disable the security features. Just disabling the lock does not deactive the ability to lock the drive.

I guess I will write a tutorial on the whole procedure used and get it stickied. I figure we have gotten far enough on this where a summary is in order.

Pulp[/quote]

Oh, damn! I wish I'd had that info when I was trying to unlock the drive. Well, now I know. I've been trying to find the master password so we can unlock them ourselves without having to pay the $50 but I've had no luck so far.
[quote name="Cirbirus"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]In a nutshell you need to use the "config" command in MHDD and disable the security features. Just disabling the lock does not deactive the ability to lock the drive.

Pulp[/quote]

Oh, damn! I wish I'd had that info when I was trying to unlock the drive. Well, now I know. I've been trying to find the master password so we can unlock them ourselves without having to pay the $50 but I've had no luck so far.[/quote]

The info is here, just spread around. Thus I will work on the summary doc.

Good luck with the master password finding. One of the things that can be done is to put an unopened drive and read a specific sector. This will tell us if the drives master password has ever been changed. If somebody wants to volunteer to do this with an unopened drive I will take the time to look up this info again.

I contacted them while working on mine and they told me the password for the toshiba and the hitachi drives was not saved in their logs during the unlock procedure. This led me to believe they were overwriting it and not "cracking" it. They told me some of the other brands will end up with a password in their logs when finished and they could give it to me. I plan to Z1 lock one of these drive brands and have them unlock it for me with my last "credit". I bought a 3 pack.
Ok, I bought a new hard drive so I can start having some fun.

I don't think they are setting the master password otherwise the AFF Repair Station software wouldn't be able to unlock the drive so fast.

Now that I have a backup drive I can reset the password on the drive myself. I'll lose all the data but that's ok. I'll test the other drive first of course ;). I guess I could do it regardless but I didn't want to risk it when I didn't have a backup drive.
[quote name="Cirbirus"]Ok, I bought a new hard drive so I can start having some fun.

I don't think they are setting the master password otherwise the AFF Repair Station software wouldn't be able to unlock the drive so fast.

Now that I have a backup drive I can reset the password on the drive myself. I'll lose all the data but that's ok. I'll test the other drive first of course ;). I guess I could do it regardless but I didn't want to risk it when I didn't have a backup drive.[/quote]

Here is a test if you would like to try it.

This will only tell us if the Z1 resets the master and user passwords or just the User. IF the default master password was still intact as you are guessing then this should be a no risk. Otherwise, drive locked!!

Get a drive you don't care about that supports drive locking.
Use MHDD to set the master password to something easy like "aaaaaa"
Test that the password was set in MHDD
Make sure the user password is not set.
Insert the drive in your Z1.
Let it boot up for at least 20 seconds. You should see a message saying it cannot use the drive.
Take the drive out and put it back in your PC
See if it is locked
If it is then boot with MHDD and try to use the master password to unlock it.

If it works then the Z1 doesn't change the master password but there is still the possibility Pioneer sets it to something other than default or the drive unlock service has found a weakness in the ATA lock standard they are exploiting to unlock these and clear the passwords. I'm 50/50 on the fence about which way this is. Either seem very possible to me.
I just talked to a friend of mine and he has a stack of 4-5 gig laptop drives which he doesn't care if they get locked and never unlocked and I'll stop by tonight (I hope) and see if I can grab one or 2 and try that out. Unless someone else tries this before I get home.