AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z2 Pre/Post-June Bypass Files

It sounds like the files you put on the disk were ok, but what did you use to make the disk. You can't use windows built in burning program. You need nero or some other 3rd party software. They say in the instructions not to use the built in windows software and you post had lots of stuff but not what you used to burn.

Sorry Roxio is what I used.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Roxio is what I used.

Then I would make sure there are not any extended characters in the names. Make sure they are 8+3 file format. And tell roxio (I don't use it so I don't know how, but I think it can do it) to use ISO 9660 format and mode 1 and things like that. Get down to the most absolute compatible cd format. It should work if you have the jpgs in the PICTURES directory (or whatever the manual says they should be in).

For what it's worth, used Roxio, slowed down the right speed and it worked fine. I did put pictures in the Picture folder. Both the backgrounds and upgrade CD worked fine in my system after burning with Roxio (Vista 64Bit PC).

Only non default was slowing to 4x speed. Recommendation on 8.3 naming format is a good one. Remember, not to use spaces in any names or labels.

I am currently trying the 2 wire bypass. I snaked the "mute" wire that was not being used from connector 1. I am going to install that wire in the noted connector 2 spot (bottom right corner) but this wire needs to be ground and I can't find anywhere to ground it. I was wondering if I could "piggyback" it onto another wire that is already being grounded. And if I can which wire that comes out of either connectors, 1 or 2, or my power supply is the one that is being grounded? Is there a specific color? In looking at my wires I see that the "ACC" wire is already being "piggybacked". Is this the wire that connects to the accessories or is this a ground wire? I am guessing that the ground wire is black but I was wondering if somebody could possible lend a friend a hand or a hint. Anything would help. Other my next choice is to ground it to a metal strap that held the old stereo in place. I have a 2006 Taheo Z71 if anybody knows what I'm talking about. And if you don't think that's a good idea I am VERY open to suggestions. AGAIN, ANYTHING would help but the correct way to do this would be best. Thanks a guys!!!!

mccullough1212,

If you are looking at the back of the Avic unit, the bottom left connector (when the back is facing you) is a black connector compared to the other 2 white ones. This harnesses several wires including the power supply. There is a black wire there as well.

Follow the black wire and make sure that it connects somewhere to ground on your car (usually another black wire) via a connector or splice, or any other method of joining 2 wires. If you can confirm that this black wire is connected to your car's ground wire, then that is the ground wire from your Avic and it is grounded.

Tap into that wire with the MUTE wire and the P.BRAKE wire, separately, I am assuming that part of your problem is that you are unfamiliar on how to do this part. Here is one way:

-Remove the insulation, it should be much thicker than the other wires. (If you do not have a splicing tool, use a lighter to burn the plasitc off. Don't worry, the copper wire inside will not burn.

-Stick a small precision screw driver into the copper wires so to separate them into 2 parts evenly-

Kinda like from this || to this ()

-Twist the screwdriver so it pushes the copper wires apart creating an opening inbetween them

-Stick the copper end of the MUTE wire into the opening you have just created

-Close the gap onto the MUTE wire

-Wrap the remaining MUTE wire that is sticking out around the ground wire's copper

-Apply electrical tape to prevent further contact and seal the connection you have just made

First off, thanks a lot for the quick post, you guys are awesome. Secondly a few more questions from a beginner.How do I know if my parking brake wire is grounded? What color is it and where is it located When I got the unit installed my installer said he didn't know how to bypass the unit but I almost remember him saying that he would ground that wire to see what effect it has on the system. Sometimes when I start the car I get the "improper connection" message. Does this mean that it is ground or that it isn't hooked up at all. I am going to attempt the grounding technique that you suggested. Currently when I drive and play a movie, it plays for a little bit them flashes to a blank pioneer AUX screen and back to the movie. I would assume that that is the problem everyone else is having. Hopefully my next post is another success story because of the help from the AVIC411 crew. Thanks again.

First off, thanks a lot for the quick post, you guys are awesome.

Yes we are, aren't we? :P

Secondly a few more questions from a beginner.How do I know if my parking brake wire is grounded?

Hit:

Menu - Settings - Hardware - Connection status

And look at the parking brake line. If it's "on" all the time it's a good indication.

What color is it and where is it located

Well, there is a parking brake "sense" wire. This is light green and comes out of the back of the Avic. Your vehicle has a parking brake wire as well. That tells the dash to put on the "parking brake" light in your dash (if you have one). I don't know where that one is. Normally the light green parking brake sense wire that comes from your Avic should be tapped into the car's wire... so the avic also knows when you apply the parking brake. Generally when people try to bypass the lockouts, instead of hooking the avic's parking brake "sense" wire to the car's actual parking brake wire, they INSTEAD, ground it right behind the avic.

When I got the unit installed my installer said he didn't know how to bypass the unit but I almost remember him saying that he would ground that wire to see what effect it has on the system.

Not quite the right way to do it, but oh well.

Sometimes when I start the car I get the "improper connection" message. Does this mean that it is ground or that it isn't hooked up at all.

"sometimes"? It should happen every time. Once you get that message it should come up every time and keep coming up till you hit the recessed reset button to the right of eject.

If you do that and it comes back, then the parking brake wire is grounded but the second wire in connector 2 is not.

I am going to attempt the grounding technique that you suggested.

That's the way to do it.

Currently when I drive and play a movie, it plays for a little bit them flashes to a blank pioneer AUX screen and back to the movie. I would assume that that is the problem everyone else is having.

Not really, sounds like a loose wire actually. But it could be th internal gyros just on the verge of syncing in or something. Doesn't sound typical.

Hopefully my next post is another success story because of the help from the AVIC411 crew. Thanks again.

Sure, do the 2 wire ground correctly and let us know.

ok fellas b4 I got a chance to send my Z2 out to Pioneer for repair the sent me an email with a firmware update for prevent lockup and freezing of the Z2. Here is the email below

September 14, 2007

Dear Valued Customer

Re: Free Firmware Update for Pioneer AVIC-Z1 & AVIC-Z2 to Address Lock-up/Freezing Issue

We would like to inform you of the availability of a free firmware update for the AVIC-Z1 and AVIC-Z2 to address a potential lock-up/freezing issue. Pioneer has become aware that a small percentage of AVIC-Z1 and AVIC-Z2 systems, especially in very hot temperatures, lock-up or freeze when powered on, such that the systems do not proceed further than the initial boot up screen.

If you are not experiencing any lock-up or freezing issues currently, there is no need to take action at this time because the one-time fix to resolve the issue will be available if an AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2 later experiences the issue and because your system may never experience the issue. Importantly, this potential service issue does not pose any health or safety risk, and there is no risk of property damage.

To address this potential service issue, Pioneer is offering a free firmware update. If you would like to receive the free update, you may do so in one of the three ways listed below. Before obtaining the firmware update, you need to know whether you have an AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2.

Download the free update to your computer from http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/avicz1update/ and burn the update onto a computer disc for insertion into your AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2; OR

Order a computer disc containing the free update by calling Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404; OR

Call Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404 to arrange for your AVIC-Z1 or AVIC-Z2 to be mailed to Pioneer for installation by Pioneer of the free update.

There are separate firmware updates for the AVIC-Z1 and AVIC-Z2. Please only use the firmware update that corresponds to your model, as the firmware update for the AVIC-Z1 will not work for the AVIC-Z2 and the firmware update for the AVIC-Z2 will not work for the AVIC-Z1.

If you have any questions, please contact Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 800-421-1404

Pioneer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Eastern Time).

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this potential product issue may cause you, and we thank you for your cooperation and continued support of Pioneer.

Sincerely,

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.