AVIC411.com

False Cover for the D3

Why not use a blank black piece of plastic with a fold to cover it when you need it. Like off a loose leaf binder. Just keep it for when you go to those bad areas and hang it off the top slot and let it drape down...from the fold. :roll:

Because car stereo thieves are crafty, and sometimes sly. If they see a blank panel, they may think it's just a cover and there might be something behind it. If they look in there and see a shitty stock ford AM/FM radio, they'll probably just pass it right by.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i ask what install kit you used? i have an 06 and it looks identical. My installer used an A.I. kit, and it left a big gap.

Bought it online from installer.com 95-5812, they carry pretty good stuff for installs.

ive been going to that shop for about five years now, they do all my installs. Great guys, honest and they do good work. I might have to see if they have any old radio's sitting around for me to use.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a picture of my OEM radio, printed it off on a nice color laser and laminated it. I also places a 1" tab on the back.

If I am in a sketchy area, I just prop it over the Avic with the tab in the CD slot.

With the tint, you can't tell the difference during the day and can't see a thing at night.

• 1 month later...
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S1l,

thats one fo the best looking ones I've seen to date!

Wanna create me one

Thanks for the kind comment. It's not too hard to do, but it's very time consuming. Lots of bondo and sanding involved as well as masking off the buttons. I don't think I could make you one if wanted. My wife wasn't too happy with all the time I spent in garage :wink:

Lu Scola Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S1 where did u get the Acura kit? Im in the middle of making one

The kit was originally a single DIN kit from my old setup, and I modified it to what you see the the photo. I originally looked into buying a pre-made kit, but I only found one vendor at the time http://www.gigharborautoworks.com/customkits.html, and he wanted $200+ shipping. Since I didn't want to pay that, I modified my single-DIN kit for the D3 screen as well as blended in with the storage pocket above it with bondo. Just recently, the guy is offering a new kit for ~$100 + shipping for 2nd gen TLs/CLs. You can see some of the photos of it here: http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358673&page=6&pp=40 While the~$100 price is pretty attractive, I still do not regret creating my own kit, and it probably cost me about $25 worth in supplies (pint of bondo, some sandpaper, half spray can primer, half spray can black paint, and half spray can clearcoat).

That may be true but if you're standing outside the car you're not looking for duplicate buttons.The thieves are looking for a unit as a whole to steal.We have time to inspect the picture up close and have all the time to pick out faults.

lol duplicate controls spotted

I was wondering when someone was going to catch that :wink:

At the time, the cheapest acura radio I could find on ebay (I didn't want to hack up my stock radio) w/o the climate controls was about $150 including shipping. I ended up getting a radio w/ climate controls for $45 including shipping. I was not 100% sure I was going to be sucessful in creating a good false radio, and being out $45 was not going to hurt too bad. Being out $150 would have knocked the wind out of me.

If you look closely at the false radio, you'll also notice that the color of the LCD screen is a little off. I couldn't remove the LCD screen off the donor radio w/o cracking the glass. So, I cut out a new one out of plexiglass and spray-painted it from the backside.