AVIC411.com

Upgrading NEX4000 to NEX4100 - Work in Progress

Has anyone considered trying to get someone from the XDA Developers forums involved with this? There's a huge amount of Android hacking talent there, since these radios ARE Android devices maybe someone there could figure this out... Just a thought.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone considered trying to get someone from the XDA Developers forums involved with this? There's a huge amount of Android hacking talent there, since these radios ARE Android devices maybe someone there could figure this out... Just a thought.

That's a great idea. I frequent those forums, but don't post, nor do I have any ties to them. Does anyone here have a better connection?

I believe that there was some work over there regarding the AppRadio2 and it's android OS. Quite honestly if they took a look at this I tend to believe they would come up with a solution. Many times it's not about the talent, but rather the tools. Seeing what the problem is becomes more than half way to solving it.

On another note, I tried to update my NEX-8000 to the 3.41 Bluetooth with no luck... Forgive my laziness, but can someone post a step by step on getting the updated Bluetooth firmware into a NEX running 1.08. Thanks.

On another note, I tried to update my NEX-8000 to the 3.41 Bluetooth with no luck... Forgive my laziness, but can someone post a step by step on getting the updated Bluetooth firmware into a NEX running 1.08. Thanks.

Download the firmware on page 1 of this thread for the 8000 (1.08) to 8100 (1.03) firmware onto a USB flash drive.  USB drive formatted to FAT 32 and make sure it's empty.

Turn off BT on your phone.

Disconnect any USB/AUX/HDMI connections.

Turn your 8000 on.

Turn off the display.

Press the gears in upper right corner.

Press the BT icon on bottom left.

Scroll down to BT Software Update.

Insert USB flash drive into USB 1.

Press start and wait.  

Just a quick update.  

I had a little free time and decided to play with the update process.

Same results as everyone here regarding the bluetooth issue.

What is a bigger concern to me is the Navigation portion having a whitewashed screen with the 1.03 X100 update applied. I'm not sure if this is a map issue.

I think the key here is to extract the internal SD card from an X100 series model and try it in corresponding X000 series model. That way we know if it is a firmware issue or if Pioneer has somehow intentionally "tweaked" the new models to purposely break an attempt at updates.

This is a very worthwhile project, I just hope we can get enough collaboration to make it a go.

Again, I think the failoverflow blog is an invaluable resource to help us along this journey.

In regards to the X000 map issue, since the 1.03 firmware changes both the device and navigation numbers, I suspect we'll need to update to the X100 maps.

Unfortunately, Naviextras doesn't have the X100 units listed yet so we can see what happens when trying to update.

In regards to the X000 map issue, since the 1.03 firmware changes both the device and navigation numbers, I suspect we'll need to update to the X100 maps.

Unfortunately, Naviextras doesn't have the X100 units listed yet so we can see what happens when trying to update.

That seems like the most plausible explanation which makes a complete image of the x100 internal SD card that much more important.

I just find it a little strange that the "structure" of a map file can change that much. I wonder if they are somehow keyed to a device number or software version to prevent "cross usage" almost like a lock to a particular range of devices or even a specific device. I mean after all, if you attempt a map upgrade it asks you to insert the USB stick so the unit can "prepare" it for an upgrade. Just really thinking out loud here no real evidence to support any thing.

I dont think I've ever had more regret in a purchase than in buying this head unit.

Couldn't agree more.  I was very excited for the promise of CarPlay, and in the end the only feature that I actually use that wasn't in my factory radio is the HD Radio.  I don't use CarPlay anymore in the least bit.  It was a colossal disappointment.  Never again, Pioneer.

Couldn't agree more. I was very excited for the promise of CarPlay, and in the end the only feature that I actually use that wasn't in my factory radio is the HD Radio. I don't use CarPlay anymore in the least bit. It was a colossal disappointment. Never again, Pioneer.

CarPlay sucking isn't exactly Pioneer's fault.