AVIC411.com

Upgrading NEX4000 to NEX4100 - Work in Progress

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a dumb question possibly, but is it possible the Bluetooth chips are different generations i.e. Bluetooth 3.1 vs 4.0? Could that be the reason that it is not initializing with the update? I am also guessing that Pioneer has made it so the units cannot be updated with full functionality to "force" consumers to continue purchasing product...

Just a dumb question possibly, but is it possible the Bluetooth chips are different generations i.e. Bluetooth 3.1 vs 4.0? Could that be the reason that it is not initializing with the update? I am also guessing that Pioneer has made it so the units cannot be updated with full functionality to "force" consumers to continue purchasing product...

I think more the second one. What Pioneer is doing isn't new for them. The Appradio 2 and 3 were the exact same unit if you got the model that didn't have the DVD player. However Pioneer never gave the Appradio 2 the 3's software or unlocked the Appradio 2's bluetooth streaming which its parrot bluetooth chip could handle. 

Edit: and for shits and giggles I checked the 4100 manual. Still bluetooth 3.0 but that was a theory that makes sense. 

Seriously though it's the same radio and the only reason we don't have the update is because Pioneer doesn't care about their customers. They could have even gone the 5000/6000 route and just updated our radio with new features but not given us Android auto. The new update has a lot of new features unrelated to Android Auto. Better nav system in the NEX's that support it, itunes radio tagging, updated bluetooth firmware, better iDatalink support and so much more that they could have given us but didn't because Pioneer thinks that software updates cost the price of a headunit. 

I think more the second one. What Pioneer is doing isn't new for them. The Appradio 2 and 3 were the exact same unit if you got the model that didn't have the DVD player. However Pioneer never gave the Appradio 2 the 3's software or unlocked the Appradio 2's bluetooth streaming which its parrot bluetooth chip could handle.

Edit: and for shits and giggles I checked the 4100 manual. Still bluetooth 3.0 but that was a theory that makes sense.

Seriously though it's the same radio and the only reason we don't have the update is because Pioneer doesn't care about their customers. They could have even gone the 5000/6000 route and just updated our radio with new features but not given us Android auto. The new update has a lot of new features unrelated to Android Auto. Better nav system in the NEX's that support it, itunes radio tagging, updated bluetooth firmware, better iDatalink support and so much more that they could have given us but didn't because Pioneer thinks that software updates cost the price of a headunit.

I definitely agree. I seriously regret getting a pioneer head unit. Less than a year old and just dumping the product.

Indeed, it's a very poor business practice for Pioneer to do business this way. While there may be a legitimate reason for it to not add Android Auto, there's no reason to stop supporting the '000 series. That said, I do not find it all that lacking as a radio and am not sure much else out there is better (which is why Pioneer can get away with providing awful customer service). I really do expect Pioneer to update to make the unit snappier, etc, and to function better overall, but never expected Apple-like updates. As for the functions they said were available and never provided, Avicsync and proper idatalink car support, that's a serious issue they should resolve.

Indeed, it's a very poor business practice for Pioneer to do business this way. While there may be a legitimate reason for it to not add Android Auto, there's no reason to stop supporting the '000 series. That said, I do not find it all that lacking as a radio and am not sure much else out there is better (which is why Pioneer can get away with providing awful customer service). I really do expect Pioneer to update to make the unit snappier, etc, and to function better overall, but never expected Apple-like updates. As for the functions they said were available and never provided, Avicsync and proper idatalink car support, that's a serious issue they should resolve.

Pioneer right now mediocrity in a sea of garbage. The head unit manufacturers are not innovating. Frankly I'm glad for CarPlay and android auto because my radio will receive updates and new functionality over time from apple instead of from pioneer.

In the 8.3 beta the album art looks better and once again works with third party apps, the phone no longer needs to be unlocked to use CarPlay,(you just tell the phone to trust this head unit and it auto launches after that) the maps now does this thing where if you don't touch it it hides buttons automatically to dedicate more of the screen to the map, Siri has a new button to let me call the person to reply to a text and I have no doubt in the future there will be a button to send audio messages for iMessage conversations.

When the interface comes from my phone I don't have to care about the pioneer one. I already have an interface from apple.

I am very hopeful but cautious when it comes to the Parrot. It's nice to finally see a headunits with a resolution that isn't from the 90s. However based on reviews previous parrot head units have had subpar audio quality and a lot of glitches.

They are however still updating the Parrot asteroid head units with new features and bug fixes so at least they support their hardware for longer than 10 minutes unlike Pioneer.

Honestly I have an iPhone and carplay works fine on my 4000. Until someone makes makes a headunits with a proven display that doesn't suck and has the audio quality deserved of the 600-1400 bucks we pay for these things I'm not upgrading.

LOL you said Parrot Head

Guys,

tried preforming the update yesterday on my head unit but didn't take it.

I currently run a 1.02 firmware on my 4000

any suggestions?

I followed the directions carefully

This what I tried so far:

1. multiple download incase the files got corrupted

2. multiple different SD and thumb drives

Ideas?

Thanks

If you do a side by side comparison on the Pioneer site you will see that the units are "feature" identical except when it comes to the screens and Android Auto support. This of course doesnt mean they are "chip identical" but someone else has already tore apart the 4000 and 4100 to reveal they are pretty much the same device sans screen. That doesnt mean the 8000 and 8100 are, but it is suspected to be as well. The Android Auto difference must have been in the screen, but we can see that it works anyway using the hacked x100 software on a x000 unit (even though bluetooth isnt currently working). So more than likely, this is something that could be implemented on our x000 devices with a general disclaimer of "it may not work as well as the x100 that was designed specifically to Googles specs".

Pioneer more than likely will never do that. Even though I would gladly pay say... $100 or so to update to the new "features" of the x100 platform. Note that I am not wanting to pay for "features" that I have already paid for and STILL EXPECT TO GET  *cough AVICSYNC cough*. They really could learn from the phone manufacturers who send out free updates across several generations of devices, with each getting a little slower, but still having general functionality of the newer devices. Eventually we would all ditch our x000 devices for the x400 device because it was so much quicker than our devices.

Or just go open source and let us customize our own devices like we used to do with the AVIC700/900 series.

If you do a side by side comparison on the Pioneer site you will see that the units are "feature" identical except when it comes to the screens and Android Auto support. This of course doesnt mean they are "chip identical" but someone else has already tore apart the 4000 and 4100 to reveal they are pretty much the same device sans screen. That doesnt mean the 8000 and 8100 are, but it is suspected to be as well. The Android Auto difference must have been in the screen, but we can see that it works anyway using the hacked x100 software on a x000 unit (even though bluetooth isnt currently working). So more than likely, this is something that could be implemented on our x000 devices with a general disclaimer of "it may not work as well as the x100 that was designed specifically to Googles specs".

Pioneer more than likely will never do that. Even though I would gladly pay say... $100 or so to update to the new "features" of the x100 platform. Note that I am not wanting to pay for "features" that I have already paid for and STILL EXPECT TO GET  *cough AVICSYNC cough*. They really could learn from the phone manufacturers who send out free updates across several generations of devices, with each getting a little slower, but still having general functionality of the newer devices. Eventually we would all ditch our x000 devices for the x400 device because it was so much quicker than our devices.

Or just go open source and let us customize our own devices like we used to do with the AVIC700/900 series.

It will never go open source due to Android and CarPlay.  Especially CarPlay, apple would not want anyone modifying CarPlay