AVIC411.com

AVIC - Z3?? Anyone know of it? Rumors? Release Date?

I've had my z2 for 7 months or so and i love it. i'm not a big fan of ipods so the harddrive works GREAT for me. i have to say i absolutly HATE the EQ though. i'm really losing faith in pioneer now that the z3 is out and the only thing new on it is the maps. I am now thinking about selling my z2 and going with the new kenwood excelon 8120 and getting an ipod for that. this unit has some better features that pioneer seems to lack. the harddrive is the only thing that makes this unit my favorite, but that's nothing an ipod can't cure.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the proud owner of a Z2 for approx two weeks before someone trashed the passenger door and dash of my F250 (over $6k in damage) so after dealing with a skeptical insurance company I now have a $200 radio in it... Have been hoping either the Z2 would drop to well under $1000 or the Z3 would include a security feature (like a removable faceplate or motorized screen cover).

I'd love to get the Z2/Z3 again since I still have the accessory modules installed (XM/Navtraffic, mic, aux inputs, gps) as they only stole the head unit - but I can't see buying the darn thing again only to get ripped off again, I have a highly noticeable truck, can't avoid thieves walking by to peek in my windows. I could try tinting them more but ideally I need a way to either remove the screen or camouflage it.

Ironically, my truck is a Harley Davidson edition F250, and was parked outside a restaurant where about 60 Harleys were parked for a club meeting, and supposedly the restaurant watches over our bikes yet they didn't notice my alarm going off or broken glass all over the place. They have new car alarms that snap a picture of the perp, but what good will that do if they are in and out in seconds? I need a mechanical pit bull or something I guess, or a radio that doesn't look like an expensive radio...

Any ideas?

Teccec- I know how you feel, I had one ripped out of my expedition and it sucks. It seems that Fords are very easy to break in to. I have heard that all they need to do is use a screwdriver in the lock and turn. It took a long time for me to replace mine. The upgrades that I did make in prep of the new one, was darker tints for my front, a two way pager alarm by skytek which does snap a photo, but I rely on the pager more and I did move away from the original area. But even without the move I still did all the upgrades. I also put a supplement on my car insurance, I use geico, which with my 50 dollar deductible they replaced everything; head unit, add ons, my dash, and the install cost the next day. Bottom line, just like radar detectors, if you make something more secure, someone will find away around it. Good luck, and don't let those bastards ruin your enjoyment of driving....go for another Z series.

I was the proud owner of a Z2 for approx two weeks before someone trashed the passenger door and dash of my F250 (over $6k in damage) so after dealing with a skeptical insurance company I now have a $200 radio in it... Have been hoping either the Z2 would drop to well under $1000 or the Z3 would include a security feature (like a removable faceplate or motorized screen cover).

Any ideas?

And your insurance wouldn't cover it being stolen??? Looks like you need a new insurance company mate!

Thanks all for responses. As it happened, our deductable was $1000. I'd literally just bought the Z2 a couple weeks earlier and hadn't yet paid for it (was on credit card). The $1000 deductable plus a high end alarm and window tinting would've raised the total radio cost from $2600 to about $4400! So I just had the truck repaired and a cheap $150 radio put in.

I'd asked around about the tinting, basically a pro tinting shop will know how "dark" I can legally go on the side windows, should go ahead and do that. Glad to hear a good reference for the paging alarms. I assume I'll pay a bit extra and get the ones with extended range. Still like the idea of a strobe surprising the perp, whether or not it actually takes a picture. Supplemental insurance is a great idea too, thanks.

I bought a cheap factory radio off e-bay, for my super duty, took the face off, glued the buttons back in it, and trimmed the edges to make it slide over the face of my Z2.

Now when I park anywhere but my own garage, I slip that puppy over it, and from a window it looks like I dont even have a tape player