AVIC411.com

Official 2.0 Firmware Opinion/Results Thread

Installed the update while at work. Took about 10 minutes just like it said it would. Only thing I think I did wrong was that I didn't have to update the TTS, I think my unit came with the right version on it, and therefor when I tried to update it. Nothing would happen. So I hope I didn't screw anything up further by trying. However so far everything else I had a complaint about is working fine.

iPod Touch G1 update 2 is working fine so far. I can connect, charge and control. I can play my video's that I have on there which is a SUPER PLUS. I totally forgot that was a feature. But, after not having it since the beginning it is like getting something new for me. :)

Boot up is faster but, I don't see it as WAY faster. I still have to wait to get to the CD/AM/FM controls. So I don't see anything that much better now.

Haven't tried my phone yet (Blackjack) hopefully its still working fine if not better. And maybe the GPS is fixed like everyone says that the blue boxes are gone. :)

Going to drive home with it, and hopefully even happier now that I can control and listen to and CHARGE my iPod.

THANK YOU PIONEER!!!!!!!! I told you guys they would fix it!! LOL!!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contacts now have the word home, work, and mobile attached to them. Great!

Incoming calls from numbers in my contact list now have the name attached. Great!

me, "Call John Smith at home"

F700, "Please say the name or number to call"

me, "Call John Smith at home"

F700, "Calling 090"

Tried 10 different combination of contacts, etc. No go.

VR in IPOD mode works great.

Look at your contact and do "call" in that exact order, my contact list as lastname firstname location and it only do voice call in that order

Ok so I updated my f700 last night and was really impressed w/ the new bootup time (still am today). Went from 52 seconds to get to FM or CD screen (plus button delay time) all the way down to 23 seconds for full functionality for both of these (and no button delay except MENU) after the update. Blank nav boxes gone too. Here's the problems I had or still have:

-Voice dialing by name in bluetooth still does not work. Has never worked. Even "call home" can't be processed somehow.

-There's still a long delay before audio comes back on if person on the other end of a bluetooth call hangs up before I can hit the hang up button on the screen at the end of a call. Today it has begun to stay muted until I hit the source button at bottom right of nav screen.

-Still switches me to nav screen from radio or cd etc. screen when I make a phone call.

-After updating I got stuck in the screen calibration chasing the stupid target around the screen over and over until finally I just turned the key off and on again to make it stop.

-Bluetooth volume was very erratic at first - I have a very loud sound system and woke up the neighbors at 2am to the window rattling sound of GOOG 411 at about 120 db. Also got a loud buzz/hiss noise for a little bit after disconnecting calls.

I feel a little better about selling these stereos to customers now, but I don't use an ipod to know for sure about the reliability yet so I'm still on the fence.

I purchased my F700BT for four reasons:

1. Direct Input for my Sirius Satellite Radio

2. Bluetooth

3. GPS

4. USB & SD Card connections (KickAss btw)

I installed the 2.0 firmware update last night. It took about 7 minutes for the FW and about 3 mins for the Bluetooth update. I am extremely happy with the result. I don't really worry too much about boot times as I use the remote starter almost all the time (It's cold in Toronto sadly), but when I have had to watch it boot up, it does seem faster than before.

The Bluetooth has always functioned extremely well on my phone (Nokia E71). I think that the phone is a big part of the connection issues people are having (IPhone), but I'm sure I'm gonna get people calling me a hater... You've gotta try Symbian via Nokia to get it. Seriously though, people don't even know I'm on handsfree when I call them from my Tacoma.

Once I hack this thing to view videos while driving, I doubt I'll make too many more changes to the unit as it works so well for me.

Cheers

The improvements are obvious so i will just list my standing complaints:

-VR for phone still doesn't work. I have the same problem as lromoda.

Call John Doe

I'm sorry i didn't understand that

Call John Doe

Calling 812

I've also tried "call doe john" and tried some single word contacts like "home" or "mom". Nothing.

-Still switches to map screen when making a call. This is just stupid and has to be easy to fix.

-Samantha still sounds terrible, we need a better voice. And the iGo TTS needs to converted to true US ENGLISH, not this UK nonsense...or should i say rubbish. "Enter the roundabout and take the 3rd exit" or "Take the exit for highway four hundred twenty two" No offense to the British people on here but there are some clear differences that most other navi's take into consideration. I actually fixed the "roundabout" and "turn back" myself, but haven't figured out how to get it to say "422" as "four twenty two" instead of "four hundred twenty two"

-still no way to toggle between presets besides the buttons on the screen. This should be possible via wired remote but for some reason doesn't work

-still no preset labels on HD Radio (duh)

-still no heading up in 2D (duh)

Two other things i'd like to add:

-the static with key beeps, mine has always done

-the destination deleting after it is reached, mine has also always done.

-I'm also convinced the ipod disconnecting issue is a faulty cable. At least i know mine is because it only disconnects if i play with the cable, leave the ipod loose in the glovebox and hit a bump, make rally turns, etc. I put my ipod in a holster and clipped it to the shelf in my glovebox and it didn't disconnect at all.

Oh gee, WOW it finally does "some" of the things it was supposed to do. :roll:

HD radio presets still don't display and I can't save the stations to preset. I still don't know how four of the six presets actually did preset (pre 2.0) since I read many complaints that others couldn't save presets. This was pre 2.0 update and still an issue. How in the hell can something so generic to a RADIO be missing???? PRESETS...what a cool idea! :evil:

I cannot voice dial anyone or thing by name. I have the original iPhone (2g as everyone calls it). Never could before 2.0 and still can't. I can say "Call - 1 123 456789 and it will repeat it and call it perfectly every time but, if I say "Call George Aben " as listed in my contacts the response is "Calling 089" and that is on the occasional time it actually attempts the call instead of the "Please say the name or number to call" debate which I always lose.

The VR works flawlessly on the iPod connection (always did) so, I know my mic is positioned correctly.

Pre 2.0 I only had a few iPod drops. It wasn't big deal to me considering the hundreds of times I started the system. Today my ipod didn't connect upon start up. I never had this issue before.

Still having problems like many of you.... here is what i sent to pioneer

Sometimes while on the map screen and after disconnecting from a Bluetooth call, audio does not resume! I have to go back to the audio source to get the audio to resume!

When placing a Bluetooth call, the box with the “hang-up†and volume control take a long time to show up! If it does show up, it takes a very long time for it to go away after the call has ended.

The navi voice is still obnoxiously loud when listening to USB or SD. No it is not the SAME volume as my music… it is LOUDER! And it shouldn’t be the same in the first place.

Andrew

Dude, this sucks...I was hoping they would update the TTS voices...

It's ridiculous that it says "Take 57 State Highway 57 Northbound" when a simple Garmin just says "Take 57 North".

Not to mention Samantha's ANNOYING voice, wow.

The improvements are obvious so i will just list my standing complaints:

-VR for phone still doesn't work. I have the same problem as lromoda.

Call John Doe

I'm sorry i didn't understand that

Call John Doe

Calling 812

I've also tried "call doe john" and tried some single word contacts like "home" or "mom". Nothing.

-Still switches to map screen when making a call. This is just stupid and has to be easy to fix.

-Samantha still sounds terrible, we need a better voice. And the iGo TTS needs to converted to true US ENGLISH, not this UK nonsense...or should i say rubbish. "Enter the roundabout and take the 3rd exit" or "Take the exit for highway four hundred twenty two" No offense to the British people on here but there are some clear differences that most other navi's take into consideration. I actually fixed the "roundabout" and "turn back" myself, but haven't figured out how to get it to say "422" as "four twenty two" instead of "four hundred twenty two"

-still no way to toggle between presets besides the buttons on the screen. This should be possible via wired remote but for some reason doesn't work

-still no preset labels on HD Radio (duh)

-still no heading up in 2D (duh)

Two other things i'd like to add:

-the static with key beeps, mine has always done

-the destination deleting after it is reached, mine has also always done.

-I'm also convinced the ipod disconnecting issue is a faulty cable. At least i know mine is because it only disconnects if i play with the cable, leave the ipod loose in the glovebox and hit a bump, make rally turns, etc. I put my ipod in a holster and clipped it to the shelf in my glovebox and it didn't disconnect at all.

Hey djphat2000,

What ipod touch firmware are you using??? how's your album art???

Album art is crap. Looks pixelated. Which makes no sense since the image is of good quality.

I am running the latest update to the ipod touch (first gen). Works perfectly so far. :) THANK GOD!!!! I can run video no problem, and all play smoothly so far. Music videos look good on this screen. Need to see it at night though. 8)

great improvement. kudos pioneer.

one thing i wish they would've added would be speed sensitive volume control... but that might be difficult since each car's audio system and acoustics are different. unlike car manufacturers that can calibrate the system with a known car model.

not griping, i think pioneer is finally delivering on their product. still. it'd be nice to have.

great improvement. kudos pioneer.

one thing i wish they would've added would be speed sensitive volume control... but that might be difficult since each car's audio system and acoustics are different. unlike car manufacturers that can calibrate the system with a known car model.

not griping, i think pioneer is finally delivering on their product. still. it'd be nice to have.

you have to go in the settins and there is a setting for that aswell and you can change the speed that it kicks in at as low as 30-40k/h and 140 i think is max

I've had mine on old software for about 3 hours :lol: The 2.0 update came out two days before I installed it. Having said that, this thing boots quick. By the time I start the car and put it in reverse the cd is playing. I can change songs or switch to radio within 15 seconds.

Navi still take a while to boot, but considering that I had to plug in the tomtom and start it, this is about twice as fast to actually put in the destination and I don't have to fiddle with the wires.

Bluetooth works great, the radio downloaded the contacts from my Verizon Razr V3. Voice recognition is rather weak, though much better than the one built into my phone which is totally useless.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. After playing with original firmware unit in local Circuit City which crashed and took over a minute to boot I almost didn't buy it. Then I read about the existing and upcoming updates and now I'm glad I bought it. Pioneer can count me as a satisfied customer.

For my part:

Boot improved like everyone else

Bluetooth with Blackberry Pearl flawless now - didn't work before at all

IPOD doesn't lose connection

Problem 1: VR does not work when it did before. Will not recognize a call command, will not read all IPOD commands past initial few words: IE: Play the Artist Chicago becomes playing all artists.

Problem 2: Volume button functions are inconsistent: (May be tied to #1 above). Does not mute, does not always bring up the VR menu, erratic when zooming in map, sometimes doesn't, sometimes zooms the wrong way, sometimes zooms too much. Volume works fine, next and previous track works fine. (This was not a problem before 2.0 update

Problem 3: Darn gas station icons (MSN) are still there