AVIC411.com

New Z120BT vs. Z110BT

Did my upgrade a while back (with some insight from TSCAD - thanks !)

First thing I did was to make sure my destination settings were still there. Yuppers! Cool.

Next thing I did was to punch in the address of the destination I was going to. The unit refused to find the street. That really annoyed me as it's a pretty common location in the Los Angeles area. I kept trying until finally I went to the initial settings and found that "Alabama" was where it thought I was. That was quickly updated to California and all was good with the world again... (frustrating though)

1. First thing I noticed was that the navi voice announcements (like "turn left ahead") now also announced the street name! ("turn left ahead onto Jefferson Street") That was one of the things I always griped about in the previous version so KUDOS ! I like it.

2. Navi voice announcements were much faster and tend to 'clip' the end word. Wow, you have to listen up to catch some of these. Their much faster than the old unit and some of the words sound clipped.

3. Gripe #1 - No navi voice option. (male or female, etc) Gripe #2 - no speed control on the navi voice. (I'd like to slow it down just a bit)

4. Plugged in my Ipod and looked at the new screen. ARGGG! I'm old school and liked the old one. Now I have to learn something new again ???? Gripe #3 - Would like an option for the new or old screen format. Forced me to download the Z120 operating manual from the site. Now I just have to print it out.

5. That little eco bar thingymabob....even with the display option "off" it still displays. Would love to get rid of that litte annoyance. (okay, that's Gripe #4 !)

Overall I like the upgrade. Faster boot, street announcement.

Suggestions for upgrade #2. (Z130?)

A. Have two voices available for navi announcements with speed options (slow/normal). Also have a "replay" button on the screen in case you miss one.

B. Give an option for the Ipod "classic" screen setup.

C. Upgrade the voice control for the unit so I can just talk to it. "Rear view please", "kill eco display", "just play what I like". Have it learn and understand me. Have it talk to me once in a while without me saying something first. (Do the "Hal" thing...."good morning Bob".....) However, limit this a bit. Don't have it say things like "you know you're speeding don't you?" or "are you sure you know where you're going?"....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you make it say the streets? Mine doesnt do that

You need to use the TTS voice

Right, and I don't think this is new. I never used the TextToSpeach voice because it sounded so mechanical and it mis-pronounces most names anyway.

But I thought the previous poster said he couldn't change the voice - or maybe he wanted to change the gender of the TTS voice?

First off, I would like to thank VBlue and all the other admins here for the time that they put into this fourm. This site has helped me out so many times. I don't think you get thanked enough.

So I got the update a couple days ago. I'm not really sure how it's $50 cheaper in canada then in the u.s.??? usually it's the other way around. But anyway. I love it!! my navi will now give me turn prompts, when it didn't before. The new interface is pretty sick. So much sexier. I'm very happy with the money spent on this upgread. I would recomend it to everyone here.

My only question is about the "price is right" wheel. Not sure if this is an option that is only available on the Z120 and not the upgread???? or if its just a setting that I missed somewhere. I can't scroll through it, the middle icon is the album artwork, then an up arrow on top and down arrow on bottom.

Any help is appreciated thanks guys.

My only question is about the "price is right" wheel. Not sure if this is an option that is only available on the Z120 and not the upgread???? or if its just a setting that I missed somewhere. I can't scroll through it, the middle icon is the album artwork, then an up arrow on top and down arrow on bottom.

Any help is appreciated thanks guys.

Turn off Shuffle and it will be there on iPod screen.

• 2 weeks later...

The z110 uses the blue lit buttons and the z120 uses the red lit buttons, right? Is there an option to change the z110 buttons to red lighting?

I have a Z2 now and I'm considering doing an upgrade to the Z3 software with 2010 maps. Would it be advisable to spend the extra dough and pony up for the z120? I currently don't have the bluetooth module, but have thought about adding it. So with my Z3 upgrade and bluetooth I'm looking at roughly $150 to upgrade...or I can spend $1000 on a new Z120 and have all these features and more. Is it really worth it???

You can basically have ANY colour buttons on the 120

I am having issues with my BT, I am using ATT Fuze (HTC Touch Pro 2) and it won't auto connect even though I pair'd it and everything. I have to manually connect to the headunit from my phone. Also, contact list doesn't work. My phone asks me if I want to allow the headunit to get my contacts but nothing happens after that. Help?

You can basically have ANY colour buttons on the 120

I am having issues with my BT, I am using ATT Fuze (HTC Touch Pro 2) and it won't auto connect even though I pair'd it and everything. I have to manually connect to the headunit from my phone. Also, contact list doesn't work. My phone asks me if I want to allow the headunit to get my contacts but nothing happens after that. Help?

I know this is probably a dumb suggestion.... as I would assume it's a compatibility issue with the Phone and HU...

But after you pair it, do you have it set for both handsfree and audio.... or at least handsfree?

And are there any firmware updates for your phone?

• 3 months later...