AVIC411.com

CarPlay !!! (Reviews, ...)

My Nex8000 upgrade went fairly smoothly.  I used the SD card.  Despite the stern warning not to let the firmware upgrade run while driving, that's just what I did.  I wasn't sure if the upgrade would take 10 minutes or half an hour, and I've got a long commute, so I certainly didn't want to add the firmware load time only my commute.

Once it was done, I hit the home button, and it booted into Carplay.  It works properly.  There's a voice button on my steering wheel, but it never worked with the 8000, and sure enough it still doesn't work, so I have to hit the home button instead.

The only problem I had was when I left work and drove home, Carplay did not launch.  The Carplay icon came up when I docked the phone, and a message "attempting to load Carplay" came up on the 8000.  But then it gave up, and I still had the Apps button on the top right of the home screen instead of Carplay.  I finally came up with the idea of resetting my iPhone (hold the power button for a full shutdown).  After that, Carplay worked fine.  I wonder if I will have to do this every time I start a new trip?

I am not having the loud POP problem some are getting.  I do have a system with an external amp.

All in all I think it's pretty nice, but it's not transformative yet.  The speech recognition is leaps and bounds better than what is built in to the 8000.  But, and I am being generous here, Apple's Map app sucks.  The default views are just not useful, and you can't change them.  You can't even pan the map to look around.  So while Siri is great for speaking a destination, I don't want to use the Map app.  

The 8000/Carplay integration is very, very smooth.  Carplay delivers on the promise of the AVIC apps ecosystem.  You get a Carplay icon, instead of the AVIC app icon, and it works.  All the time.  When you hit the mode button, it flips from Carplay back to the 8000.  You can even flip back and forth between the Carplay music player and the 8000 music player.  I personally like to use Carplay to pick out an album (using siri) and then flip back to the 8000 interface once the music starts playing.  I really like how they integrated Carplay with the rest of the radio.

I think that Carplay has enormous potential.  The big variable is Apple - will they allow third party developers to create Carplay apps?  I'd love to see Waze and a few others as available apps.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Nex8000 upgrade went fairly smoothly. I used the SD card. Despite the stern warning not to let the firmware upgrade run while driving, that's just what I did. I wasn't sure if the upgrade would take 10 minutes or half an hour, and I've got a long commute, so I certainly didn't want to add the firmware load time only my commute.

Once it was done, I hit the home button, and it booted into Carplay. It works properly. There's a voice button on my steering wheel, but it never worked with the 8000, and sure enough it still doesn't work, so I have to hit the home button instead.

The only problem I had was when I left work and drove home, Carplay did not launch. The Carplay icon came up when I docked the phone, and a message "attempting to load Carplay" came up on the 8000. But then it gave up, and I still had the Apps button on the top right of the home screen instead of Carplay. I finally came up with the idea of resetting my iPhone (hold the power button for a full shutdown). After that, Carplay worked fine. I wonder if I will have to do this every time I start a new trip?

I am not having the loud POP problem some are getting. I do have a system with an external amp.

All in all I think it's pretty nice, but it's not transformative yet. The speech recognition is leaps and bounds better than what is built in to the 8000. But, and I am being generous here, Apple's Map app sucks. The default views are just not useful, and you can't change them. You can't even pan the map to look around. So while Siri is great for speaking a destination, I don't want to use the Map app.

The 8000/Carplay integration is very, very smooth. Carplay delivers on the promise of the AVIC apps ecosystem. You get a Carplay icon, instead of the AVIC app icon, and it works. All the time. When you hit the mode button, it flips from Carplay back to the 8000. You can even flip back and forth between the Carplay music player and the 8000 music player. I personally like to use Carplay to pick out an album (using siri) and then flip back to the 8000 interface once the music starts playing. I really like how they integrated Carplay with the rest of the radio.

I think that Carplay has enormous potential. The big variable is Apple - will they allow third party developers to create Carplay apps? I'd love to see Waze and a few others as available apps.

You shouldn't have to restart the phone every trip, but I have had to restart it a few times. Almost all of the bugs I have experienced so far seem to be on Apple. Nothing that I have experienced stands out as Pioneer's fault.

Regarding your steering wheel, that is a problem with your wheel/head unit interface kit. My Maestro SW is working fine with Siri.

I am disappointed with the current app/API support among developers. They are all being paid off to support one ecosystem. It seems like everyone is taking on Apple and taking sides with Android or another OS, and withholding apps and services from Apple's walled garden. Of course, Apple is also blocking apps and services from their biggest competitors. This isn't just evident with CarPlay, but with many other Apple services. Apple TV still doesn't have Pandora. The Nest Thermostat, which has mostly Apple-fan owners, was bought by Google, and now won't have HomeKit integration with Apple products. There are numerous other examples. I understand it is about economics and trying to entice customers to your OS, but it sucks for the customer. That said, fingers crossed we will see A LOT more CarPlay apps as CarPlay is introduced to more vehicles... Just don't expect to see Pandora or Google Maps any time soon.

Does Audio resume work for you?

If you are listening to a folder on the SD or USB, and turn the car off and on, will it go back to where you left off?

Some have had issues with resume, i had the issue for a little while in the first hrs, since then it has resumed on movies and songs. Both sdcard and ssd on usb2. I have 4000nex with iphone6 running ios8.0.2.

Some have had issues with resume, i had the issue for a little while in the first hrs, since then it has resumed on movies and songs. Both sdcard and ssd on usb2. I have 4000nex with iphone6 running ios8.0.2.

Yes, on my 4000 audio resume works with the new firmware, it is in my other car that has the 8000 that the audio resume doesnt work and it is really annoying...

Funny how the more expensive one has more problems than the cheaper one...

totally sux when listening to audio books....

I have the 8000NEX, and updated to the latest firmware.

I currently have an HDMI cable, and USB1 to a Lightning to USB Cable that I have connected to an Official Apple Lightning AV Adapter with a Lightning Extender Cord.  I finally figure out how switch the Phone Settings on the head unit from AV to USB to enable CarPlay.  I am unable to get CarPlay to work with this setup. 

However, if I remove the official Lightning AV Adapter and plug directly into the USB Lightning cable, the head unit switches automatically into CarPlay mode.  

Is the Apple AV Adapter incompatible with CarPlay?  Or, does the head unit have issues with connecting via CarPlay with an HDMI cable in the mix?

Is there still a way to use CarPlay AND HDMI at the same time (or at least switch between the two)?  Not a fan of having to unplug and replug cables every time.

Thanks

When you are connected through CarPlay, Siri, phone calls, graphic display, and pretty much everything goes over USB. Bluetooth can be totally turned off on the phone, and calls can be placed through the NEX. This is differently implemented vs appradio's multi Bluetooth/hdmi connection.

When in Bluetooth mode you have more options available, such as microphone boost control and  clearer call connection via Bluetooth 4.0's latest Hands Free Profile 1.6 (when paired with an iPhone 5 or above that also has Bluetooth 4.0's HFP 1.6). When in CarPlay mode you lose mic level control and this wide band speech enhancement.

Wide band speech was introduced so that when you are using an HD voice device such as an iPhone 6 on any bluetooth device, you wouldnt lose quality vs just using the phone as a handset.

The shared USB bandwidth that CarPlay is implementing may not allow for as much bandwidth as Bluetooth 4.0 with HFP 1.6 wide band speech does, hence the decreased quality. This is something that could be adjusted down the line if it is deemed necessary, but that would be something that Apple would have to make the call on, not Pioneer.

Though it may not be as clear, not having to run Bluetooth/hdmi like appradio's method, also allows for the phone to actually charge instead of gradually draining on a long trip like AppRadio does. The HDMI lightning adapter+bluetooth added significant power requirements compared to this simplier USB only setup. This overwhelmed the 1.0 Amp output of the USB port on the NEX. Not to mention performance advantages of USB 2.0's bandwidth and latency vs any Bluetooth variant.