AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z2 Pre/Post-June Bypass Files

Quote from the walkthru "The 4 right most locations in that connector DO NOT have wires in them. You need to add a wire to this position and ground it as well."

Do I simply splice into that wire and ground it; or cut it then ground it?

You remove (don't cut...you need the metal connector) a wire from a different slot (cell mute), put it in the empty slot, and ground it.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from the walkthru "The 4 right most locations in that connector DO NOT have wires in them. You need to add a wire to this position and ground it as well."

Do I simply splice into that wire and ground it; or cut it then ground it?

You remove (don't cut...you need the metal connector) a wire from a different slot (cell mute), put it in the empty slot, and ground it.

Thanks Hyperite,

That much I understood given I am now looking at the right harness :)

I installed an August 2007 build AVIC Z2 today. I grounded the E-brake wire and removed a unused lead from the pioneer harness to add to the empty space on connector #2 and grounded it as well.

When I tried to update using the image files I burned the unit told me update was already done.

Of course I do not have DVD play capabilities once the truck is moving. I assume I lost the ground on connector #2 but if some one here could check my work so far I would appreciate it.

Check your grounds and that the pin is firmly seated in the 'bypass' hole in the harness

I installed an August 2007 build AVIC Z2 today. I grounded the E-brake wire and removed a unused lead from the pioneer harness to add to the empty space on connector #2 and grounded it as well.

When I tried to update using the image files I burned the unit told me update was already done.

Of course I do not have DVD play capabilities once the truck is moving. I assume I lost the ground on connector #2 but if some one here could check my work so far I would appreciate it.

Got my z2 installed last week and i think i saw the manufacturer date of after june 2007(cant rem) on back of unit bfore the install. I think the bypass was done by installer cause the message would come up that break lead is connected improperly pres ok, somemessage like that. But the problem was that when iwould go over 10mph the dvd will stop playing. You can still hear the sound but cant see the video. Anywayz after seeing this thread i thought i needed to install the update to make it work. So i used the method 2, burned the iso, put in the z2 and it went through the options of updating, and then copied the files to the HD. After which i press the reset button, but now it just frozen on the Pioneer main screen that comes after u start the car and none of the buttons works and touch screen wont work either. When i put a cd or dvd in, i can hear the music and sound but nothing else and only the volume up and down key works. How do i unfreez it so it goes back to the normal screen. Plz help...

It SOUNDS like you didn't let the update finish. When it said "remove disc and reboot" or whatever, did you instead press the reset button? Because that will remove the queued files to be transferred to the EPROM on the reboot. Need to let it complete the full cycle before pressing reset.

Anyway, if that's the case, your options are still guesses: you can try running the update again, but I have doubts that'll work since the filesystem doesn't seem to be active if it's hanging on the splash screen. You can try a full system reset (search the forums for how to get into the service menu, i don't recall). And your last option would be to remove the drive and reimage it with the one available from the forum.

I downloaded the freez firmware update from pioneer's website and installed that but after finsihing the install, it gives the error message that the update was not installed correctly. After turning it of and on and doing couple of resets, However now the system is working back again. But I dont know whether the update was done or do i ahve to do ur method #2 update which is the 30mb file Again. Although all the functions on the z2 are working, i still lose video after going over 10mph. Do this method #2 update(30 mb file) HAS TO BE INSTALLED on z2 in order to make the system fully operational with dvd watchign no matter how fast i am going. The installer did said he installed the bypass wires and i had to update my system so should i try it again and see if that work?

thanks for ur help

Another quick question too, to do ur update #2(30mb file)...you say E brake must be applied or wire grounded. In my situation since the bypass is done, I dont have to apply the e brake? Cause last time i did apply the e brake and i dont know if that cuased the system to hang, since the wire was grounded via bypass and ebrake was applied too at the same time. Plz let me know that too..thanks

Sounds like you didn't burn the freeze fix correctly. Either do it correctly, or try the 30mb file from this site. Both should make your deck bypassed if your installer did it right

I downloaded the freez firmware update from pioneer's website and installed that but after finsihing the install, it gives the error message that the update was not installed correctly. After turning it of and on and doing couple of resets, However now the system is working back again. But I dont know whether the update was done or do i ahve to do ur method #2 update which is the 30mb file Again. Although all the functions on the z2 are working, i still lose video after going over 10mph. Do this method #2 update(30 mb file) HAS TO BE INSTALLED on z2 in order to make the system fully operational with dvd watchign no matter how fast i am going. The installer did said he installed the bypass wires and i had to update my system so should i try it again and see if that work?

thanks for ur help

Thanks for the help. I'll remove the unit and check the ground to the bypass pin on #2 connector soon.

I am a little confused as to why the system reported the update had been previously done. I assumed the system had to be update so the bypass could work. The bypass is a hardware and software affair isn't it?

The confusing part to me is I am not totally sure the software part of the bypass is done. Why would the system report it had already been updated?

I was able to get the ground wire inserted in the #2 connector pretty good. I followed Hyperite's directions and with the photos it was simple. The ground could have came off but I doubt it.

In any event I'll pull the unit out to check the ground.

Check your grounds and that the pin is firmly seated in the 'bypass' hole in the harness

I pulled the head unit out the other day and checked the ground to the bypass pin on connector #2. It appeared to be seated well in the connector but I took the time to strap it in such a way as to keep it tightly in the connector.

Now I do have DVD play capabilities while moving! The AVIC-Z2 is great. It is THE way to enjoy sound while on the road. Nothing I have ever used intergrates XM and an iPod so well. Pioneer has got it right.

Thanks for the help and thanks to Hyperite for starting the thread.

Thanks for the help. I'll remove the unit and check the ground to the bypass pin on #2 connector soon.

I am a little confused as to why the system reported the update had been previously done. I assumed the system had to be update so the bypass could work. The bypass is a hardware and software affair isn't it?

The confusing part to me is I am not totally sure the software part of the bypass is done. Why would the system report it had already been updated?

I was able to get the ground wire inserted in the #2 connector pretty good. I followed Hyperite's directions and with the photos it was simple. The ground could have came off but I doubt it.

In any event I'll pull the unit out to check the ground.