AVIC411.com

Z1/Z2 HDD Replacement Trial and Error Thread

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xartni is it mild weather where you live

I live in So. Cal, up until this last week, it has been off the charts hot (95-105+). Before I made the switch my radio would freeze on start-up even if the temps were in the high 80 range. I have not had one freeze in the 90's or 100's (yet). I've had it installed now for about three weeks.

Jason

Using the stock drive, after sending it in once to Pioneer, it would not start periodically. After I bypassed it there was really no change. Sometimes it booted other times not.

We took it on vacation and it would not boot at all. I stopped at an autoparts store and got screwed on a $10 #9 torx wrench. But then I was able to take the cover off and using a cd case, I directed the AC blower into the HDD slot. After a few minutes of cooling, I cheated the interlock and she booted right up.

When I got home, I bought a Western Digital 80 GB HD from Best Buy. I do not know the exact model number because it is in the Z2. This drive boots everytime no matter what the temperature. It does randomly reset but even while navigating it only takes about 10 seconds to come completely back up without loosing position.

I bet that the Flash drive will work. I have also been looking at a Hitachi Endurastar drive which is rated at 85 degrees C operating. They are impossible to find though and look to be more expensive than the flash drive.

By the way when I formatted and partitioned my WD drive, I made the last 2 partitions 30 GB each. Works fine.

I saw the links for the Z1 images on the upgrade sticky... but where are you guys getting the Z2 image from? Got a deal on ebay to pick up a Z1 for $800 and i figure i'll upgrade it to the Z2 for a few extra $$... otherwise i'll go with the D3 thats only $650 new. I'm just hoping the Z1 won't freeze up and break in -50f weather

• 3 weeks later...

I know this might be impossible and convoluted but I wanted to see what you guys thought. Bear with me on this.

Avic-Z2/Z1 --> Factory supplied IDE cable --> 2.5" PATA Male/Male adapter --> 2.5" to 3.5" PATA adapter

Ok now we have converted the AVIC-Z2/Z1 to use a standard PATA interface but the power adapter on the 2.5" to 3.5" PATA adapter above would have to have a gender change in order to plug into the 3.5" power interface.

From this point you could possibly use a standard 3.5" drive and mount it external in the dash. There may be a power and shock issue here and you would still need a Toshiba drive which I am not sure Toshiba makes 3.5" drives. I don’t see why would couldn’t use an external power supply for the drive. However using a standard 3.5†drive isn’t my end goal. Keep reading...

Know lets convert this 3.5" PATA interface into a 2.5" SATA interface.

2.5" to 3.5" PATA adapter --> SATA Hard Drive to IDE PATA ADAPTER --> New Toshiba 7200 2.5" SATA drive!!

First of all I don't have my AVIC-Z2/Z1 yet so my thought process may very well be off. I know this is a lot of extra hardware and I assume there is no room in the AVIC chassis for it even if you wanted to put it in there. My thought was to somehow channel the factory IDE cable out of the chassis and do the conversion and hard drive mount external. At least it would be cooler that way. You could even use a separate power supply just for the hard drive that would power up on ignition. My other concern is will the drive still be recognized as a Toshiba during the SATA/PATA conversion. I think it will but don't have a way to test this.

I tried a hitachi 40 gb drive -- reboots after 15-30 minutes

fujitsu 80 gb drive -- same (sorry, I forgot to write down the models on them)

Tried Toshiba 120 gb drive (mk1234gax) -- drove around the city all day saterday, no reboots at all. Works perfectly !!! .................

Haven't had a chance to expand the music partition yet, just wanted to see if the drive will work with the unaltered z2bypassed image first.

I am definatly intrested in finding out if you got the 120gb to work with an extended partition. Let me knwo what program you used to expand the partition and how big was too big because i am sure you will be able to get to that part.

P.S. if anyone wants a New 80gb Toshiba hard drive with a Z2 image on it let me know, cause i have a working spare. I would probably let it go for $100.