AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 and Bluetooth on Sale IN STOCK!

For shipping, I think all you have to do is drop it off at the nearest repair center and if they can't fix it (or don't want to mess with it) they will ship it to Pioneer at the expense of the warranty. When I told the guy at 6th Ave that I lived in North Dakota, he told me that they may not have any nearby since he knew of a time when someone from Montana had to use the warranty and someone actually had to go to Montana to pick it up. Fortunately there is a repair center (or drop-off location) for me 8 miles away. As for depreciation. Yes, if you have your Z1 for four years and it messes up enough so that they cannot fix it and cannot replace it for whatever reason, they will refund you money based on current market value which by then would probably be about $700-$800. To me that's fine since in 4-5 years I probably will want whatever is new.

I don't believe that the warranty will cover the removal and reinstallation of your unit but then again, no other warranty covers this either. I also didn't read any fine print on the contract about any hidden costs. All you do is basically get the warranty and take it to a repair center whenever you need repair. They take care of the rest.
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Slick 6MT"]Did anyone else get the warranty? He knocked the price on it down quite a bit so I said why not. You guys think the warranty BS or what?[/quote]

I just spoke to Pioneer 1-800-421-1404 and got some additional information.
1. There are only 2 locations that repair the AVIC-Z1: Columbus, OH and Long Beach, CA.
2. Pioneer charges a $70 Evaluation Fee (plus shipping) after the 1 Yr. factory warranty expires to give an evaluation on the unit before anything is done to repair it.
3. I am in Dallas, TX and I have not been able to contact any "Authorized Repair Center" through this warranty company that is authorized to handle the AVIC-Z1 unit which means that I would have to send the unit to Ohio or California myself. This doesn't make me feel good at all......

With that being said, it sounds to me like you would be put in a situation where you are depending on the warranty company to reimburse you for the evaluation, and repair or replacement costs.

Before I invest an additional $250 I would like for someone else to investigate the insurance company and let me know what they think.
OK, I just got off th ephone with RepairTech [url=http://www.repairtechinc.com/]http://www.repairtechinc.com/[/url] and was talking to customer service about having an extended warranty on the ACIV-Z1.

All GPS units have ot be sent back to Pioneer Service for repairs, no local repair places will touch them!

Here is how it would play out. During the first year it is covered under the Pioneer warranty and everything would take place directly with Pioneer.

After the first year the extended warranty kicks in and now we would be dealing with ReapirTech. First thing we would do is call RepairTech and file a cliam that out unit was in need of service. They would start a claim with us and Pioneer Repair. We would ship it out to Pioneer ( I did not ask about removal of the unit from vehicle) and get an estimate for the repairs that are needed.

Once RepairTech is told about the estimate they either approve it or not. The would not cover damage from: Impact, liquid or sand damage (spilled drink on unit or got sand in unit from beach for example), or any kind of customer abuse.

Once you get approval the unit gets repaired and YOU pay the bill. The unit gets shipped back to you. You then fax in a paid in full reciept and Repair Tech reimburses you for the total cost. I asked about shipping BOTH ways and after checking with someone she said that shipping is also paid for by RepairTech.

They have no idea on how long it would take Pioneer Service to recieve and estimate and repair the unit but she said that her end does not take that long. They process claims every day, so it should not take too long to recieve your reimbursment.

That should be the process in a nut shell, if I remembered the conversation correctly. If you have any questions you should give them a call: "Contact us anytime, - day or night. Just call our Customer Care Center at 877-418-TECH (8324). If you reach us after hours or we are experiencing heavy call volume, please leave a message and one of Customer Care Team members will get back to you within one or two business days."
I think extended warranties are a scam and a waste of money. Here's my logic.
First your paying up front for a warranty that doesn't even go into effect for a year.
Second, 3rd party warranty companies are notorious for finding some reason why your repair isn't covered. And if you intend to do anything like messing with the hard drive, once the genius' around here get it cracked(can't wait), you can kiss your warranty goodbye if they have some way to detect that.
Third, I doubt I'll have the same unit in 6 years. By then I'll have the one thats the size of an eraser and projects a 3d image in mid air, or some shizzle like that.

I say save your money for now. If you really want an extended warranty wait until your factory warranty is aboiut to run out. The postcard offering it will most likely show up in your mailbox.

Let the bashing begin,

Ray
[quote name="crayz4life"]I think extended warranties are a scam and a waste of money. Here's my logic.

I say save your money for now. If you really want an extended warranty wait until your factory warranty is about to run out. The postcard offering it will most likely show up in your mailbox.

Let the bashing begin,
Ray[/quote]

Ray, I totaly agree......To me it's like buying a new car and purchasing the extended warranty at the time of purchase. You can't use it for 3 yrs or 30,000 miles yet you pay for it on day one. Most people are unaware that by law you can buy the same extended warranty up until the day the original manufacturers warranty expires. If your car gets totaled before then, you just saved yourself a heap of change! If not, you can now make the decision whether to purchase or not.
What will happen in this case is, you will register your unit with Pioneer. Pioneer will then sell that information to extended warranty companies who will then solicite all of us for extended warranties. Since Pioneer does not sell an extended warranty they have nothing to loose. Pioneer agrees to do the repairs (remember, you have to pay them up front) and they let the consumer deal with getting their reimbursement back from the extended warranty company.

Not trying to discourage anyone from the warranty, but be sure you understand exactly what the process is. Warranty companies just so happen to be in business to make money too! Hmm, ever wonder who that money is coming from, NOT Pioneer. :shock:
Won't deal with 6th ave again I don't think. And definitely won't deal with Peter Corpuz. That's the guy I spoke to last Thursday when I ordered my Z1. Made a good deal Ii think 1787.30 for the z1, the bt unit, the sirius unit, the ipod module and the wire harness adapter for my car. This guy assured me it was in stock and would ship on Friday, but he was going to "try" to get it out that day. So by Monday I had not reeceived a ship notification so I shot him an email asking if my order had shipped. No reply. emailed again Tuesday no reply. Called him, no answer, left message. Then Wednesday I call customer service to see what the deal is. The guy puts me on hold comes back in a minute and says he is transferring me to the salesman. Of course I get his VM. Called customer service today, got a woman who looks up my order and tells me it didn't ship because they were out of stock until today and it was shipping today. So I am pissed that the salesman didn't just tell me the truth and say they were out of stock. Dealing with these guys is like dealing with a used car salesman and your buying a car that they don't even show you.
End rant.
I know what you mean. I ordered my bluetooth from them over two weeks ago when the guy said he had plenty in stock but it has not shipped yet. I called a few days after placing the order and the guy said it would ship out by the end of the week. When Friday came and I didn't have a shipping confirmation, I called them up and they said it wasn't in stock and it would ship out in about a week or two. The worst part was that after I placed my order, thinking that the BT was in stock I came on here to let everyone know, and some of those people who ordered after me had their BT adapters shipped out.