AVIC411.com

So........ Since the Z1 and Z2 are just about the same... and there is not a very good bypass for the Z2. Is it better just to buy the Z1 then? I really don't know which one to buy now since there is no bypass for the Z2 of yet. :(

Hmmmmmmm.

If you really need the bypass, go with Z1. If you want a better map, go with Z2 and wait for the bypass (who knows when)

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been following this forum for some time, and although I think I have read nearly every post, there are a few things that I hope someone can clarify.

Is it a definite fact that Pioneer will require a Z1 to be updated to a Z2 in the process of updating the map database? From what I have read, it appears that one cannot get an update for navigation without being forced into a Z2 operating system.

If that is the case, I have a question as far as the present Z1 bypass. I am still flashing my headlights on my Z1. I have the bluetooth update from Pioneer, but haven't applied it yet, since I haven't found the time to tear into my dash to do the new bypass. If I go to the trouble to do the wiring bypass to take advantage of the bluetooth update, and I later decide to do the map update, will I have to tear back into the dash to undo this bypass? I realize that the Z2 won't be bypassed by this method, but will it object to this second Z1 bypass? Will it give me warning screens or not function properly unless wired per Pioneer instructions?

I'm sure I will want to update my maps when available (I need up to date maps in my travels), and therefore be stuck with a Z2 without a possible bypass. If the Z2 does not play friendly with the second Z1 bypass, I may just bite the bullet, apply the bluetooth update, leave the wiring alone, and get used to a non-bypassed unit.

Thanks for any replies.

I have been following this forum for some time, and although I think I have read nearly every post, there are a few things that I hope someone can clarify.

Is it a definite fact that Pioneer will require a Z1 to be updated to a Z2 in the process of updating the map database? From what I have read, it appears that one cannot get an update for navigation without being forced into a Z2 operating system.

If that is the case, I have a question as far as the present Z1 bypass. I am still flashing my headlights on my Z1. I have the bluetooth update from Pioneer, but haven't applied it yet, since I haven't found the time to tear into my dash to do the new bypass. If I go to the trouble to do the wiring bypass to take advantage of the bluetooth update, and I later decide to do the map update, will I have to tear back into the dash to undo this bypass? I realize that the Z2 won't be bypassed by this method, but will it object to this second Z1 bypass? Will it give me warning screens or not function properly unless wired per Pioneer instructions?

I'm sure I will want to update my maps when available (I need up to date maps in my travels), and therefore be stuck with a Z2 without a possible bypass. If the Z2 does not play friendly with the second Z1 bypass, I may just bite the bullet, apply the bluetooth update, leave the wiring alone, and get used to a non-bypassed unit.

Thanks for any replies.

I had a Z2 and used the Z1 2 wire bypass. You do get the parking brake error upon start up, but at least you have full function at stoplights I found it more convenient that way. Every thing appeared to function just fine, locked out in motion and unlocked when stopped. I guess it's just a matter of preference. I have since changed my hard drive to a Z1 image, with a little help from a friend and stored away my Z2 drive with the hope that some day there will be a Z2 bypass so I can go back to the updated maps, better voice recognition and point addressing.

I recently removed my perfectly working Z1 out of my truck and had Car Toys in Fort Worth TX install it into my new truck. While installing the unit, Car Toys somehow managed to break my Z1, screen will open, but no longer close without me helping it by pushing. Car Toys is claiming full responsibility, but only after I had to argue with them that the screen has NEVER had problems before.

Now, my salesman is having problems locating a new Z1 at any other stores, but has 2 units being delivered tomorrow. The salesman thinks the units may be demo units but won't know until tomorrow. If this is the case, he thinks that he can upgrade me to a Z2 and as far as I'm concerned it better be without extra charge. Now, the problem is, Car Toys did some damage to my console while trying to install the Z1, so I will likely install the new unit myself. If I get a Z1, I will just unplug the old and plug in the new and be on my way, however, if I get a Z2, are the wiring harnesses the same between the Z1 & Z2? I assume they are because of an earlier post mentioning how the Z2 hardware was exactly the same, or am I making that up? can't seem to find the post now. =/ Is the GPS antenna the same? Is the microphone with a Z2 the same or better? I'm wanting to get a heads-up on what kind of work is ahead of me if I do have to upgrade.

It's very unfortunate that if I get the Z2 I will no longer have a working bypass. Sucks to, cuz I just recently used Ducati's info to install the 2 wire bypass. Was tired of flashing my lights all the time. Applied the Bluetooth update with no problems. Thanks Ducati.

BTW, if anyone here lives around the DFW metro and is considering going to Car Toys, contact me first, I have some very important info based on my experiences (and I have lots of em') at 2 different stores and several different installers. Maybe I can save you LOTS OF TIME and money.

"bobmun" you say you have full function at stop lights.. but do you have just video while driving ?

No just video while stopped, but you don't have to do anything, except hit ok past another pop up every time you start your vehicle.