AVIC411.com

Bypass instructions for the Z1

Guest Jamesdat

[quote name="ducatiboy"]I figure $20 for these (including shipping)? Just a gut feeling, with wires and soldering and parts and all, it didn't sound too out of line. Of course you can get a PAC TR7 for $35ish and program it yourself (and it has way more features). But mine should be way smaller. :)[/quote]

That sounds extremely reasonable, I get TR7's for $25 shipped, and yours does the headlight trick too, so thats $50 in TR7's. $20 is a bargain.
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys (and gals), not to get you depressed, but I installed my setup tonight and it's not working. But I'm convinced it's my timing. I bypassed my setup and just connected 12V to the ILL line after 4 seconds and removed it after about a second or so and it bypassed everything perfectly. My circuit is programed only to have a 500ms on time, that's not working. I'll lengthen the on time tomorrow morning and post the results (I didn't take home my programmer). I'll get it. The circuit works, I just have to nail down the timing.

If you want to see what it all looks like:
Ok, just an update, turns out I was wrong about the illumination coming out of the car, I figured it was 12V or 0, turns out it's a 100Hz to 300Hz signal (at least out of mine). I just have to adjust my code to work with a signal instead of a voltage level. No biggie. Should just be a software change. But the way my circuit worked, I didn't anticiapte any "adjustable" dimming on the Z1. I think it's just lights off, lights on. 2 seperate states.

Has anyone noticed changes in the Z1 based on your dimmer settings? I don't think it does dimmer settings, but more of a "lights are on so put on the dim setting" or "lights are off, daytime mode". I can't see any multiple "dim settings" based off the dimmer knob. Anyone else notice this or something else?
[quote name="Anonymous"]massive newbie: how do i know if my parking break wire is grounded? When i start up, there is a message saying that it is incorrectly connected....[/quote]

Most likely it is, you usually get that message when it's grounded and you are watching a DVD and sitting, and then you start moving and the nav portion of your Z1 sees that you are moving yet your parking brake is on (wire grounded). Then you get that anoying warning every time you turn the car on.

Go into the settings (menu on front panel) and then settings and then hardware I believe and connection. And there will be a line showing you the status of the parking brake line.

Maybe you or your installer thought that it would be the easy bypass and just grounded it when installing the radio. That's what I did. Doesn't work, hence why I made a little circuit to do the bypass the correct way.
thanks ducatiboy.......

well, i tried the 1 light on/off method upon the "start up screen" and it did not work....sure enuf, the DVD cut out about 10mph. I have a 2005 Ford F150 ...so if anyone has any input on what can be done or what i can do right, i would love some feedback.

as noted in the post prior, my parking brake wire is grounded....
[quote name="Anonymous"]thanks ducatiboy.......

well, i tried the 1 light on/off method upon the "start up screen" and it did not work....sure enuf, the DVD cut out about 10mph. I have a 2005 Ford F150 ...so if anyone has any input on what can be done or what i can do right, i would love some feedback.

as noted in the post prior, my parking brake wire is grounded....[/quote]

I would go behind the Z1 and disconnect the parking brake wire from constant ground. Leave it float if you must, or hook it to the parking brake line or put a switch in there just incase some day you need to activate it, but you normally want that to float. Then reset the Z1, and you won't see the "hey your parking brake is not connected correctly" message. Then the lights on and off (during the "Starting up Pioneer Navigation" screen not the Pioneed graphic boot screen) and it shoudl work. No more nagging.
[quote name="03Vic-HPP"]I haven't noticed any change in the light output from the AVIC when changing the dimmer setting, I think its daylight or dark...[/quote]

I agree, which makes my code much simpler. I'm doing on or off, like switching a light switch. Which does work. But the light signal coming out of my ILL wire is a 0-12V signal which varies it's duty cycle to adjust the brightness of the things in the car. My circuit just outputs "high" or "low" with on or off. As long as the Avic only has those 2 settings, I think this will make for a more "universal" circuit.
I'll be installing mine this weekend. But unfortunately won't have the bluetooth unit or the Sirius brain by then so I'll have to take it back out to install that stuff when it arrives. But at least I can see if the light flicker works. It's going in my 97 F150.