AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z2 Pre/Post-June Bypass Files

i called my installer...hes going to take everything apart monday to double check that its all connected the way its supposed to be...hopefully it is just a loose ground or something...i dont wanna fool with it myself, since it was a custom install. i had a din and a half and plenty mods were needed to get the z2 to fit...thanks for all the help and suggestions!

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:shock:

Well, 31 miles after the bypass and now it stopped working.

Just now drove home from dinner, and it showed the parking brake warning again for the first time since update and the nav functions were grayed out while driving. I haven't done anything other then trying to flip the "parking brake toggle switch" to see if it would allow the override, but that didn't do it.

Ideas anyone? Anyone having the same issue after putting on some miles?

some of you ppl need to learn to do the 2 wire bypass

this is the only way it will work

now just read and learn

For these models you will NOT need my circuit, all you need to do is just ground 2 wires.

Wire #1:

Ground the light green parking brake sense wire from the Z1. If the light green parking brake sense wire is already connected to your vehicles parking brake switch wire, then disconnect it from the vehicles wiring and then ground it. Do not permanently ground the vehicles parking brake switch wire, just the light green sense wire from the Z1.

Wire #2:

Look on the back of the Z1, there are 3 main connectors.

As you are looking at it from the rear, the connector on the bottom right (closest to the FM antenna plug) is labeled on the back of the Z1 as "connector 2".

The 4 right most locations in that connector DO NOT have wires in them.

You need to add a wire to this position and ground it as well.

Ground this pin in "connector 2"

Personally I took the "cell phone mute" wire out of "connector 1" by taking a

jewlers screw driver and lift up on the white plastic connector part just behind the "metal tang"

in the connector. Some times with these connectors, you push on the metal tang to get the wire out,

with these connectors, lift up on the plastic tang retainer, don't push down on the tang.

It's much easier. I then inserted the cell phone mute wire into this position and grounded it.

NOTE: The "cell phone mute" wire has nothing to do with the Pioneer ND-BT1 (add-on bluetooth module). This wire is used if you install a 3rd party (non-Pioneer) speaker phone system so that it can interface to the Avic Z1. If you install a non-Pioneer cell phone interface then you will most likely use this wire to mute the Z1. If so, choose another wire. If you use the ND-BT1 you will NOT use this wire and it will be extra for your installation (which makes it an appropriate choice). Another choice is the "guide on" wire which is for turning off an external sound processor when the navigation voice speaks. This is another wire most people won't use in a standard install. It doesn't matter what wire you relocate into this location in Connector 2, just pick one that you don't use in your specific installation.

I did what you say to above and when I start driving around I get a pop up message about my parking brake not beeing connected properly and I get locked out again.

I get this a lot. You are not alone. What happened is that you didn't do "wire #2" correctly. In the instructions above, wire #1 is the parking brake wire. Grounding that will bypass the unit while you are not moving. Grounding wire #2 will keep the unit unlocked when you start moving. If wire #2 is not grounded properly then when you start moving it will lock you back out again and put up that pop up message. I know you think that you grounded that wire correctly, and most likely you did. Where most people have problems is in the connector itself. Either the terminal is not oriented correctly or it's not inserted all the way or something. But check and double check that connector. That's where every single problem I have seen has been. Trust me this procedure works and it works well. If it's not working then double check what you did. If you are still getting the pop up message, the only way to get rid of it is to press the recessed button to the right of the eject button (the button the opens the face of the Avic-Z1). This will lose your AM/FM radio presets but not much else.

avicz1newbypass.jpg

I haven't had any problems after driving 180 miles. If the update gave you a message that the unit has been updated and restarts. I would look to see if the 2 wire ground is installed correctly.

My parking brake toggle switch is on all the time, and when I go to the hardware settings, and check the Z2 displays my parking brake is on.

I also made sure the wire in connector 2 that everyone says should be grounded was secure in the connector and ground that wire to the black wire coming from the Z2 wiring harness by splicing into it.

Make sure the 2 wire ground is installed correctly and not loose.

I haven't had any problems after driving 180 miles. If the update gave you a message that the unit has been updated and restarts. I would look to see if the 2 wire ground is installed correctly.

My parking brake toggle switch is on all the time, and when I go to the hardware settings, and check the Z2 displays my parking brake is on.

I also made sure the pin in connector 2 that everyone says should be grounded was secure in the connector and ground that wire to the black wire coming from the Z2 wiring harness by splicing into it.

I'll have to check the wiring tomorrow. I didn't do the wiring myself, it was done by an installer that has done several of the Z1 units. I can't say how it was done or if it was done correctly or securely.

I did get the message that the unit was updated and it did a restart. I also finished with the system resent button and checked the hardware to see that it did show the parking brake set while driving. Like I said before, it worked great for the first 31 miles, so maybe it's just the wiring now and all will be good again once this is corrected. I'll post an update as soon as that is checked, I hope to get that done tomorrow.

I also made sure the pin in connector 2 that everyone says should be grounded was secure in the connector and ground that wire to the black wire coming from the Z2 wiring harness by splicing into it.

I'll have to check the wiring tomorrow. I didn't do the wiring myself, it was done by an installer that has done several of the Z1 units. I can't say how it was done or if it was done correctly or securely.

I did get the message that the unit was updated and it did a restart. I also finished with the system resent button and checked the hardware to see that it did show the parking brake set while driving. Like I said before, it worked great for the first 31 miles, so maybe it's just the wiring now and all will be good again once this is corrected. I'll post an update as soon as that is checked, I hope to get that done tomorrow.

That almost makes me think he may have done just the p-brake and not the wire swap. Because, I think i remember reading something that said doing the p-brake will work for a bit, until the unit recals and realizes that its not parked.

Here:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8847

Read the last post by DB on there, sounds just like what you're talking about. He's saying the same thing.

I have driven about 400 miles since I did the bypass update, already did the 2 wire bypass on my Z2 at install in anticipation. I have had no problems at all, unit has stayed fully bypassed the whole time.

I will be doing almost 400 miles this afternoon, and I can promise you I will have no problems.

everyone, check your wires on your two wire bypass.

make sure they are grounded directly to metal, not a screw that goes through plastic first.

and I would think the parking break toggle switch is pretty much useless, might as well take it out. my opinion would be that it could only be one more spot to cause a loose connection.

make sure they are grounded directly to metal, not a screw that goes through plastic first..

VERY good point, make sure its metal to metal to metal. And that is body metal, not a bracket thats connected to metal. Yes the bracket may work, but its not an optimal ground. I had a couple really convenient places picked out for my ground, but had to ditch them because they ended up being brackets connected to body. Eventually found a bolt that bolted directly to the body metal.

And Ive had ZERO problems with this bypass. It works people, just do a good job, dont rush. Find an appropriate ground and make sure your wires are connected perfectly. If you do that, it will work.

I have been trolling this board for about a week as I got my AVIC-Z2 installed around then. I fell into a big bucket of $hit as I stumbled onto this thread and have been following it since page 1. I installed the ISO and it worked the first time, which was very easy. Just use Nero to burn the image. Oh, and for all that get errors during the upgrade, try lowering the burn speed of your CD burner! I then completed the 2 wired mod last night but it still threw the parking brake msg. So I tore it apart again today and notice that the "mute" wire was not pushed all the way up into the wiring harness. There was no way the pin on the Z2 was touching it. So I pulled it back out and "thinned" the shielding on the wire so it would have more clearance to slide into the harness. This wire is a real PITA to seat. I used a tiny flat head to help guide/push it as I could not push it using my fingers. It would just bend and bunch up the shielding . I then grounded it on a screw inside the dash. I grounded the PB wire as that was easy to follow and ground on a screw. Once I did that I put it all back together and turned it on. I got the parking brake message so I "reset" the Z2 and then did not see it. I dropped in a DVD and went for a drive, no PB message and all nav functions were enabled. Kickass! Thanx to all who made this happen! It really does work!!