AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

but be warned... 99% of people who are upgrading the HDD are expierencing a REBOOTING issue. so look into that before making a decision!!

Which rebooting issue is this? I just had my Z1 repaired (new HD) due to the unit rebooting over and over on startup. No mods.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to thank you so much for posting this info on upgrading the z1. I think the $ 250.00 pioneer is charging is a bit high. I would think they would keep the price reasonable for the owners of the z1 units since they are costly to begin with. I am a computer repair technician and computer builder. After I upload the new data to my Z1 HD...I am going to purchase several more exact replacement hd's. Then I will set up these hd's and swap them to anyone that wants to do a simple and quick upgrade to their Z1 and a reasonable price. If anyone is interested...I will post more info later.........(if this works), I need to test it out completly first, so we won;t have any problems. Has anyone tried this yet? Does anyone have any suggestions for this.

later

mike

If I only have a laptop computer is it still possible to do step 3?

I know prolly a bonehead question

I'm in the same position as you and only have a laptop. This won't work on drives connected via USB or Firewire. I had to use a friends desktop in order to do the upgrade.

The security software will not be able to see the drive unless it is connected directly to the motherboard.

Quick question on this. OK, so here's what I am getting out of this. I have a pre-Jun 06 Z1, so the DB mod comes out and the 2-wire method goes in. I got all the instructions for making the new drive. I will of COURSE make a backup of the Z1 drive. Has anyone had any problems with the upgrade and reverted back to the Z1 image with any success? I'm tring to gauge the reversability of this upgrade. Also, if I am having the "freeze on bootup screen" issue, associated with high heat (I live in NE Florida where a typical summer day sees 90+ degrees), will a new hard drive of the same size and speed fix anything, or is it in another piece of hardware?

BTW... Thank you very much DucatiBoy for the couple of years of excellant lockout override. I was one of your first customers and by far your happiest!

Quick question on this. OK, so here's what I am getting out of this. I have a pre-Jun 06 Z1, so the DB mod comes out and the 2-wire method goes in. I got all the instructions for making the new drive. I will of COURSE make a backup of the Z1 drive. Has anyone had any problems with the upgrade and reverted back to the Z1 image with any success? I'm tring to gauge the reversability of this upgrade.

I have done this. Maybe I have the wrong version of Acronis or whatever, but I made backups with my version of Acronis and Ghost. Then when I reimaged the drive, the new image didn't work for me. So I'm thinking it was my old version of acronis, but I did successfully reload my Z1 image back (a couple times) and it always worked. Don't take my failure loading the Z2 image as much, I didn't have the same version of the program and I didn't really try too hard to get it to work (just no time) but I always could bring it back with my backup image (I think cause I made the backup Z1 image and restored it with the same program, the Z2 image here is made with a newer version of Acronis and maybe something in that is why it didn't load for me).

Also, if I am having the "freeze on bootup screen" issue, associated with high heat (I live in NE Florida where a typical summer day sees 90+ degrees), will a new hard drive of the same size and speed fix anything, or is it in another piece of hardware?

This I can't help with. I haven't followed this.

BTW... Thank you very much DucatiBoy for the couple of years of excellant lockout override. I was one of your first customers and by far your happiest!

You are very welcome, glad I could help when I could. It kept me rather busy for quite some time. :)

Hope this is the right place to post this question.

My computer only supports SATA. I guess IDE is becoming a thing of the past for new computers.

What recommendations does anyone have on what adapters to purchase?

I'm also wondering how I should connect the hard drive to the motherboard, since SATA does not use slave and master on the same cable.

Thanks for your help!!

Hope this is the right place to post this question.

My computer only supports SATA. I guess IDE is becoming a thing of the past for new computers.

I'm also wondering how I should connect the hard drive to the motherboard, since SATA does not use slave and master on the same cable.

Thanks for your help!!

PATA and SATA are completely different

You would probably need to

a) find another computer that is older and supports PATA

B) possibly buy a PATA controller card, install it in your new computer. I honestly don't know how well this would work, but it just might...

Good luck.

I would think that if I were in this situation... I would get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815280002

I have so much IDE stuff from my Tivos and Replays and xbox, etc... I know SATA is taking over, but I need to keep around ATA things.

Dumb question:

If these instructions are followed to upgrade z1-to-z2, does the image already include the 2-wire-bypass over-ride files or do we still have to use the 30mb image from the other sticky to update the z2 to be "bypassable?"

Recommend editing the original thread to mention whether torrent/ftp images are already "bypass-ready."

Dumb question:

If these instructions are followed to upgrade z1-to-z2, does the image already include the 2-wire-bypass over-ride files or do we still have to use the 30mb image from the other sticky to update the z2 to be "bypassable?"

Recommend editing the original thread to mention whether torrent/ftp images are already "bypass-ready."

The files themselves are called Z2Bypassed...

Dumb question:

The files themselves are called Z2Bypassed...

LOL, thanks, didn't catch that.

FYI, for anyone thats familiar with newsgroups I've attached NZB's for the image to this post.

*edit* my apologies. my original submission, avic.zip, was missing some of the files. Their are now two attachments to this post. If you downloaded avic.zip, you can download "missing.rar." Its an nzb containing the missing files.

If you need the entire download, grab avicZ2image.rar.

Missing.rar

AvicZ2Image.rar