AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, thats exactly what I did, but my computer completly doesn't recognize the drive, nor the secondary ide channel in the device manager. Once I connect something else to that same cable, like a cd drive, it recognizes the secondary ide channel and also the hard drive, but then the HDD Unlock Wizard cannot unlock it cause there are other devices connected.

I honestly think that this is a problem with my motherboard, I have an Intel Desktop Baord with a P4 processor

hmmm wierd. You care connecting it to the end part of the cable right? not the one closest to the middle? that would make a difference. Also, after connecting it to the CD-ROM IDE channel. setup your bios to ensure it sees the drive!! that might be what's happening. If not that.. then take it to a friends house! :)

I was able to update from Z1 to Z2 using the 9GB ISO I downloaded from the newsgroups perfectly on my first try. I did however use a brand new 60GB Toshiba drive that was listed on here as no resetting. I grew the music partition to near 40GB.

Firstly, thank you very much to everyone who contributed to this upgrade process.

I am stuck on STEP 4 – Unlock Your AVIC Z1 Hard Drive because the link provided is no longer valid.

http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/howto/,

edit: Its hard to see in the first post of this thread but when I pasted the link above, I noticed the comma (,) at the end of the link causing the invalid link :oops:

Nim,

I used windows vista to go from z1 to z2. I did not use the repair station

This is my recommendation. Spend the $50 on a new HDD vs. $50 one time unlock. That is what I did and it worked great. New HDD that is faster, larger, and so far more stable (hasn't froze on start-up...yet).

Navyute

I am stuck on STEP 4 – Unlock Your AVIC Z1 Hard Drive because the link provided is no longer valid.

http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/howto/,

edit: Its hard to see in the first post of this thread but when I pasted the link above, I noticed the comma (,) at the end of the link causing the invalid link :oops:

Thanks Nim. I never noticed the comma at the end of that link. I fixed the original post so it works now.

Nim,

I used windows vista to go from z1 to z2. I did not use the repair station

This is my recommendation. Spend the $50 on a new HDD vs. $50 one time unlock. That is what I did and it worked great. New HDD that is faster, larger, and so far more stable (hasn't froze on start-up...yet).

Navyute

Most people on this forum are having rebooting issues with non-original HDDs. What HDD are you using?

So ANY toshiba 2.5 PATA HD will work? Could somebody recomend a model number for a 60 GIG that is known to work without rebooting?

Thanks

here is one a few people have used with no reboots.

TOSHIBA HDD2D17 (MK6034GAX) and (MK6032GAX)60GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822149041

Also the 80 gig model. (MK8032GAX) TOSHIBA

Wow... ok nice to know. Thanks for that info.

I finished the upgrade just now. Thanks again to everyone that made it possible. GREAT step-by-step AFMagnum!

However, I skipped "STEP 5 – Disable the Security Lock on Your AVIC Z1 Hard Drive" because I do not have a floppy drive and my motherboard does not support boot from removeable media.

I tried creating a bootable CD but that did not work either. Plus, I was too impatient.

Another issue was the bypass. The unlocking procedure went so smooth, so did the backup creation and the recovery of the Z2 image. The bypass however does not work as I am locked out of almost all menu items.

I have completed the original parking-brake -> ground for the Z1 which worked like a charm and I prepared for this upgrade 2 days ago by moving the MUTE wire to the bottom right pin of Connector #2 and grounding it.

I am guessing the Bypass ISO is already applied to the Z2 image I downloaded from the link provided in the first post as the name reads Z2Bypassed... Correct me if I'm wrong. I have also tried resestting the unit using the reset button. I am still flashing the lights on startup.

What else could be wrong? The only thing I can possibly think of is a bad MUTE->GROUND connection, I will check tomorrow. Besides that, can I be missing anything else?