AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone in this tread I have completed the Z1-Z2 upgrade using my original hard drive.

I was able to keep my music by not overwriting the last 2 partitions.

I have not notice any enhancements, other than map, by upgrading.

Did I only do a map upgrade any kept it a Z1 by keeping music? Or is there no real difference?

To my disappointment the maps in my are are worse than before. Can you safely switch back to the Z1 image if you want to?

thanks again

Newvet, hopefully u were able to edit the parameters of the Z1 HDD to permanently keep the drive unlocked, and more importantly, hopefully you made yourself a backup of the Z1 before recovering the Z2 image.

If so, you can reconnect the HDD back to your computer and use Acronis to recover the backup you created onto the Z1 HDD.

If you did not permanently unlock your HDD, you will have to repurchase a license for Repair Station from AFF Laboratory.

If you did not create a backup, you will have to get a hold of the original Z1 image.

Navyute,

I will keep that in mind for the future, thank you. Hopefully I won't have to edit the HDD until next year for the 2008 maps. In that case, I will repurchase the unlocking license and keep it unlocked then. Thanks.

The only step you do not need to follow is unlocking your HDD. You just have to remove the security settings on it. So do all steps, except step 4, in the beginning of this thread to your new HDD.

You shouldn't have to spend a dime on anything other than hardware ..... The new HDD and the adapter to connect it to your computer.

So say I purchased a new Toshiba 60 GB drive and connected it to my PC to upload the Z2 image onto it. What steps do I need to follow? I'm guessing I really only need to unlock the drive permanetly and put the image onto the new drive. Is this correct?

The main difference is whenever the instructions say "AVIC Z1 Hard Drive" you will use your Toshiba 60 GB drive instead. Also, as navyute said, you do not need to do step number 4. On top of that, you can skip step 6 as well.

If you are using a new drive, you don't need to backup your old drive since you'll still have the original intact.

...The bypass however does not work as I am locked out of almost all menu items.

I have completed the original parking-brake -> ground for the Z1 which worked like a charm and I prepared for this upgrade 2 days ago by moving the MUTE wire to the bottom right pin of Connector #2 and grounding it...

Update: So I spent some time taking apart the Avic and organized all the wires neatly. I took the MUTE wire off of a bolt that was supposed to be grounded and spliced it with the proper ground wire. So thats now a secure, permanent ground. However, as I was organizing the wires, I followed the parking brake wire from the Avic and when I reached to the end of it, it was not connected to anything, nor was it ever.

I did not know the parking brake did not need to be grounded to complete the first generation Z1 bypass. So I grounded this to the same ground wire as the MUTE wire and the Z2 was bypassed successfully.

Thanks again to AFMagnum and ducatiboy and everyone else who contributed to make this possible! :)

The only step you do not need to follow is unlocking your HDD. You just have to remove the security settings on it. So do all steps, except step 4, in the beginning of this thread to your new HDD.

You shouldn't have to spend a dime on anything other than hardware ..... The new HDD and the adapter to connect it to your computer.

Thanks!

So say I purchased a new Toshiba 60 GB drive and connected it to my PC to upload the Z2 image onto it. What steps do I need to follow? I'm guessing I really only need to unlock the drive permanetly and put the image onto the new drive. Is this correct?

The main difference is whenever the instructions say "AVIC Z1 Hard Drive" you will use your Toshiba 60 GB drive instead. Also, as navyute said, you do not need to do step number 4. On top of that, you can skip step 6 as well.

If you are using a new drive, you don't need to backup your old drive since you'll still have the original intact.

Thanks!

Ok,

Hopefully this will be the last question. I have the Z1 and it's not yet installed. I will do the Z1 to Z2 update via a new drive. However, I will do it AFTER the install to make sure everything works when installed. I want to do the 2 wire bypass also.

Here is what I plan to do, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Install the Z1

2. Do the 2-wire Bypass

3. Put the Z2 image on my new hard drive using the sticky http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9446

4. Install the Hard Drive & turn on Z1.

Since the files to create the Z2 image are already bypassed I shouldn't need to anything else.

Hopefully after that I should have a working bypassed Z2

IS THIS CORRECT?