AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

is there a way to upgrade the z2 software without using the original hd ?

I want to get a new hd and load the z2 image on from the ftp site provided, what are the steps involved to do this if i am not going to use the z1 hd ? or is this not doo able without unlocking the hd and a making a image of the original ? thanks.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished doing my Z2 upgrade. I took the toshiba 60gb hdd, turned off security by putting it in my laptop, and then restored the z2 image onto the drive thru a external harddrive case. I didnt have a desktop to make everything easier. I then did the 2 wire bypass, and everything is working great. Thanks to everyone here. :D

OK, you guys are the shiznit! I went out and purchased a new drive, then downloaded the images from AFMagnum's post, and slapped the drive in the Z1 (now Z2) and XM came on as soon as I turned the key and provided power, the two updates ran and I am up and running! Although I had one of the original bypass circuits installed I am missing some menu commands, that is tomorrow's project (2 wire bypass). I used a 60GB Toshiba drive and left all the partitions from the z1-z2 bypass image the same, so no extra space increase (no biggie, had something like 95% free on the 30GB drive). A quick question though, when I go to the settings then hardware settings I am showing that it is now version 2.000, do I need to run that firmware update that Pioneer put out? Thanks again, you guys are the HEAT!

dc

Success i have put the FTP image onto a 80gb Toshiba drive and then added all my other albums and settings info.

Now all i want to do is expand the partition size to allow more content.

WHat programs are you all using to expand the partition size that have been SUCCESSFUL?

Thanks for the help. I am finding the Norton partition disc. I think this program able to expand the music storage. Someone please correct me.

My experience with Z1 to Z2 Upgrade;

1) My Z1 was professionally installed. I took it in to get the latest bypass done, right after I installed the latest bypass upgrade software. This install is so well done, you can't even get to the rear of the unit to access any wires. They did the 2-wire for free (actually a couple of pizza's). I wanted to verify that this functioned before moving on to the Z1-Z2 upgrade.

2) .RAR download was fine using XP Pro. I did interrupt my downloads several times with no problems when restarting the downloads – no corruptions.

3) I downloaded all the software. but for some reason I had to "purchase" Acronis Disk Director, which I find a great piece of software and worth it. I could not get it to work as i needed on the trial version.

4) I chose the upgrade route on the Hard drive and ordered from NewEgg the Toshiba MK6034GAX - 60GB, which means I did not unlock my old drive.

5) I purchased the IDE hard drive adapter from Fry's Chain for $6.99.

6) I did everything as described. All went well with the following exception.

> I could not get the screws loose on my Z1HD Caddy. truly funny... I do major auto repair, and have rarely encountered this kind of difficulty. I used my dremel to cut them out. and replace them with new screws. The down side is that the cut-off screws remain in the original HD. hope I never need to reinstall that one.

> I could not tell when I had defeated the password locking on the new HD. This has been mentioned on this thread. I tested it on another computer to verify.

7) I installed new HD. and everything was fine. BUT here is were I veer away from some of the guys here,

8) I was also surprised to see many of my settings intact - my av settings, xm stations in memory, map settings, even my Bluetooth connection, etc... I did not reset anything because all appeared to work. This reset is recommended by others here.

9) to this day (2500 miles after upgrade) it is flawless. I must add that my system has been flawless from day one. My Avic is one of the very early models - I live for tech, so i got it early 2006.

10) I used Photo shop to create a simple splash screen using a Volvo logo, Volvo photo and text " Volvo Navigation Loading.....". I like the factory look and did not want a splash that said " look at my aftermarket system". It is important to look "factory" IMO

11) I removed the pioneer disclaimer files (renamed the files .old but left them in place). So now only my Splash screen shows up.

12) I have no restart issues, I have never performed a "hard reset" or any other reset.

13) The new Hard drive is noticeably quicker. Of note - the "beep" after the Z2 asks for verbal input is instantaneous - I used to have to wait one to two seconds to get the beep..... niceeee !!!

14) "DOWNSIDE"..... I need to reinstall all of my music and phone book entries because I did not unlock my original hard drive and retrieve it.

finally, 15) can someone do a step by step on resizing the hard drive partitions...... this was not clear to me. and I ended up with several extra partitions and had to do everything over to get back to square one. People have tendencies to say " just do A and end up with Z" when they have a clear understanding (I too am guilty), but others may not see it as clearly.

ALSO, please watch for a new thread (if one doesnt exist) in the general section regarding the AVIC obvious omissions and oversights - you know - the things this system should or shouldn’t do.... that are painfully obvious to us users. I am going to pull some of these together and post them. Pioneer are U listening.

First post, so please bear with me if I plant this in the wrong place...

"gparted" is an open-source program that you'll burn to a cd, then you can resize your partitions without wiping anything out. Yeah, ya still gotta have the 2.5 to 3.5 cable, and DISCONNECT ALL YOUR HD's in your pc before running DBAN!!! Leave only the new hd connected. Both programs (gparted & DBAN) will self-boot in order to lobotomize & resize your 2.5". I put my replacement drive in place of my XP drive in my laptop if I don't have access to a pc. NO OS needed to run the programs so far...you can use a 98SE bootdisk after running DBAN, although out of over a dozen laptop overhauls I haven't needed a bootdisk.

"DBAN" (Darik's Boot And Nuke) will totally wipe out EVERYthing on a drive, including data in "sector 0" (where the hd reads its lock code from. After running DBAN, load your d/l'ed z2 image into it.

Google for the 2 prog's above, enjoy...

...just my 2 cents worth.

:!: hey I am willing to pay for a updated hd for a z1. I will suppy the hd if you would tell me what kind I am in jax fla. would like to use either a 80 or 120 gig hd I will pay via paypalI think I kcan pay about 75.00 plus the hd or name a reasonable price. would like a large partition for all the music. I would attempt to do this but my job requires me to do a lot of road trips in country and abroad. Please help :lol:

Hey there,

I am dumping the Z2Bypassed.tib Acronis image onto a new TOSHIBA 60GB HD, but I wanted to make sure I expand the right partition during the process as the "original" image is from a 30GB HD, and mine will be 60GB.

Looking inside the Z2Bypassed image with Acronis, I see 4 partitions as follows:

[ 17.52 GB FAT32 ] [ 572.8 MB FAT32 ] [ 9.308 GB FAT32 ] [ 572.8 MB FAT32 ]

If I a not mistaken, the 9.308 GB partition ( 3rd one in the image ) is the one that takes the music and should be expanded to take up the almost 30GB difference from the stock HD to the 60GB replacement, correct?

Thanks!

EDIT: Update! - YES the 9.308 GB partition is the one that needs to be expanded! - Worked a charm!

Anyone in the mid atlantic area (i am in maryland) who can expand ther gb. on my Z1, upload backrounds, firmware, and any other updates to my unit. I will gladly come to you, and pay for your services. I am not good with computers, so me attempting these things is out of the question. Thanks.