AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

I was able to download the Z2 image from the newsgroups.

I have comcast so the URL is newsgroups.comcast.net and you use your primary comcast email and password. This is the first email account comcast set up for you when you first subscribed to the service. You can also call them and ask them what your email and password are.

It took about less than four hours to download all the files. My download speed was almost 800kbs, can't complain.

I used NewsBin Pro 4.32 from http://www.download.com/NewsBin-Pro/3000-2164_4-10285921.html?tag=lst-2

So give it a try!!

Also

Just to share the install of my new Z1 on my Nissan Xterra 2002.

I've got the Z1 yesterday, refurb from ebay. Removed the center panel on the Xterra and removed the factory radio, when i found out right behind the radio a Rockford Amp was connected to it :( bummer since i didn't have the oem bypass. So what i did was cut all wires and figured each speaker color, of course nissan don't follow the standars when going out from the amp to the speakers, so i took me a long time to figured this out. Connected the Z1, even that i have a refurb early 2007 i did the 2 ground wires. Started the car, went for a ride, and whithout doing any upgrade but only the 2 grounded wires i was watching "smikin' aces" while driving. Hopefully tomorrow i will get the bluetooth and XM modules, and a Toshiba 60GB hard drive to do the Z1 - Z2 upgrade.

Thanks a lot for all the comments on this forum, and of course, the Z1 has all i wanted!!

SO, as an advice, if you plan on installing your Z1 on an Xterra 00 - 04, make sure to buy the bypass circuit so you don't spend hours figuring out how to connect your Z1 straight to the speakers.

I hope all this help

Zeek

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, forgot to say i'm a network administrator with luck. I've just found a 60gb hard drive, disabled security and copy the image. So i would say it is ready to go. I'm going to extend the MSV partition to 20gb. So my question is. Is there any way to copy the music over?? other than with the cd's? can i just copy and paste? which format?

Thank you a lot!!

Zeek

I have comcast so the URL is newsgroups.comcast.net and you use your primary comcast email and password. This is the first email account comcast set up for you when you first subscribed to the service. You can also call them and ask them what your email and password are.

It took about less than four hours to download all the files. My download speed was almost 800kbs, can't complain.

I used NewsBin Pro 4.32 from http://www.download.com/NewsBin-Pro/3000-2164_4-10285921.html?tag=lst-2

So give it a try!!

Thanks for the help Zeek.

We must be on the same page, I just picked up a referbed Z1 too. I also am an IT guy. I checked out he Comcast (Giganews) newsgroup and it was there solely because Giganews has a 200 day retention and the files are at 143 days right now. Easynews (still my favorite, much cheaper, and a bad ass web interface) only has a 100 day retention. I will repost the Z2 image out there so most people will be able to grab it again in a few days.

Jason

So give it a try!!

Zeke. I did give it a try, but I have NO idea how to use this program. I added alt.binaries.test to the group list... it seems to have downloaded something, but when I put "AVIC" in the find line, I get no files listed at all. Can you give me a quick how-to for finding this file?

Thanks

I'm beginning to think that at this point, the files no longer exist on any server. Has anyone been able to sucessfully download this file in the past week? If so, PM me on how you did it. I'm pretty much stuck paying someone $100 for an unknown hard drive of unknown quality.

OK

Here are the steps.

After you install it you get the "Install Initial server" wizard

Server Name: (You have to type the news groups URL, like newsgroups.comcast.net)

Put a check mark on Authentication Required and add your user name and password (for example with comcast would be: yourname@comcast.net password:password you have to call your provider and ask for your email address and password (it has to be the very first one you've got when you purchased the internet service)

Then you do NEXT and FINISH.

Now you click on FILE

Then you click LOAD DOWNLOAD LIST

and now you have to browse for the avic.NZB file that you must have somewhere (prior download).

Now you will see all the single files available in a green color. click one of them, do a Ctrl A (to select all), right click and select ADD TO DOWNLOAD LIST

Go and click the third top icon (the round green one) "Start header download"

I think i didn't skip any step.

Give it a try,

Zeek

So give it a try!!

Zeke. I did give it a try, but I have NO idea how to use this program. I added alt.binaries.test to the group list... it seems to have downloaded something, but when I put "AVIC" in the find line, I get no files listed at all. Can you give me a quick how-to for finding this file?

Thanks

My experience with Z1 to Z2 Upgrade;

1) My Z1 was professionally installed. I took it in to get the latest bypass done, right after I installed the latest bypass upgrade software. This install is so well done, you can't even get to the rear of the unit to access any wires. They did the 2-wire for free (actually a couple of pizza's). I wanted to verify that this functioned before moving on to the Z1-Z2 upgrade.

2) .RAR download was fine using XP Pro. I did interrupt my downloads several times with no problems when restarting the downloads – no corruptions.

3) I downloaded all the software. but for some reason I had to "purchase" Acronis Disk Director, which I find a great piece of software and worth it. I could not get it to work as i needed on the trial version.

4) I chose the upgrade route on the Hard drive and ordered from NewEgg the Toshiba MK6034GAX - 60GB, which means I did not unlock my old drive.

5) I purchased the IDE hard drive adapter from Fry's Chain for $6.99.

6) I did everything as described. All went well with the following exception.

> I could not get the screws loose on my Z1HD Caddy. truly funny... I do major auto repair, and have rarely encountered this kind of difficulty. I used my dremel to cut them out. and replace them with new screws. The down side is that the cut-off screws remain in the original HD. hope I never need to reinstall that one.

> I could not tell when I had defeated the password locking on the new HD. This has been mentioned on this thread. I tested it on another computer to verify.

7) I installed new HD. and everything was fine. BUT here is were I veer away from some of the guys here,

8) I was also surprised to see many of my settings intact - my av settings, xm stations in memory, map settings, even my Bluetooth connection, etc... I did not reset anything because all appeared to work. This reset is recommended by others here.

9) to this day (2500 miles after upgrade) it is flawless. I must add that my system has been flawless from day one. My Avic is one of the very early models - I live for tech, so i got it early 2006.

10) I used Photo shop to create a simple splash screen using a Volvo logo, Volvo photo and text " Volvo Navigation Loading.....". I like the factory look and did not want a splash that said " look at my aftermarket system". It is important to look "factory" IMO

11) I removed the pioneer disclaimer files (renamed the files .old but left them in place). So now only my Splash screen shows up.

12) I have no restart issues, I have never performed a "hard reset" or any other reset.

13) The new Hard drive is noticeably quicker. Of note - the "beep" after the Z2 asks for verbal input is instantaneous - I used to have to wait one to two seconds to get the beep..... niceeee !!!

14) "DOWNSIDE"..... I need to reinstall all of my music and phone book entries because I did not unlock my original hard drive and retrieve it.

finally, 15) can someone do a step by step on resizing the hard drive partitions...... this was not clear to me. and I ended up with several extra partitions and had to do everything over to get back to square one. People have tendencies to say " just do A and end up with Z" when they have a clear understanding (I too am guilty), but others may not see it as clearly.

ALSO, please watch for a new thread (if one doesnt exist) in the general section regarding the AVIC obvious omissions and oversights - you know - the things this system should or shouldn’t do.... that are painfully obvious to us users. I am going to pull some of these together and post them. Pioneer are U listening.

2 questions if you don't mind. Did you rename the files to .old after you put the image on the new hard drive or did you change it within the image file itself?

Second question- How did you create your own splash screen? I remember seeing a thread or some directions on how to do it here, but I can't find it.

I only have a laptop, but it can hold 2 drives. Can I put the avic drive in the laptop on the other drive connector? The instructions state that it needs to be the only device on that channel and it must be the master.

I dont think I can do that with my laptop. It an HP DV8000.

Thanks

Hi everybody

First of all, I think it's really cool that people have put so much time into helping others with hacking the Z1.

Well, I'm from Denmark and not from the U.S.A as many of you, so my english is not that well as yours :)

I have the European version of the Z1, called "AVIC-HD1BT". Has anyone tried upgrading this one by following the guide "Z1 to Z2"?

And if yes, does anyone have the heart to help a guy like me, to fix the HD1BT to a HD3BT?

I am an medium-advanced PC-user (mainly hardware), so I don't think that their'll be any problems. But if there is, would anyone help me "live" by guiding via Messenger or equal?

Many Thanks!

Hey guys....does anyone know exactly what kind of adapter is needed? I order a usb to ide adapter and the toshiba drive won't "fit" into it....any links for the exact piece would be appreciate....thanks

I used this exact one....pricey, but i everythng you need. Just don't get drunk and hook it upside down/backwards and fry your drive like I did.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search