AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think we're on for a record... 26 users downloading :shock:

You guys are killing my bandwidth

People can use the news groups... much faster to dnload.

1) www.binsearch.info > advanced > query= 'avic' > max age of post: 200 > specifiy alt.binaries.test

2) search > create .nzb file, save to desktop.

3) Import your .nzb file to SuperNZB app to dnload the image. http://www.techsono.com/supernzb/index.html

4) You'll need to know your ISP news server address... typically news.your_isp.net or .com. You will also need to know you login ID PW, typically the same as your email handle and PW.

Note: This dnload is 224 files ~50 MB each totaling 10+ gigs... so dial-up is not a option.

Also note some ISPs will cap your dnload capability to ~2gig so you may want to verify this before starting.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks wrxsti03 for posting how to get it from the newsgroups

Sorry guys, the FTP server has gone offline for a month (at midnight USA Eastern Time) while I pay thru the freakin nose to get me a logo created for my next great adventure

I did put a request up both here (has now been deleted due to lack of response) and on the FTP for help from the Graphics Guru's here... requesting help designing a logo for my new venture. Unfortunately, it landed on deaf ears... so I've gotta close the FTP for the leech account to help me pay for a "Graphics Guru" to ream me no end

Those of you with private logins into the server will still have full availability while the leech account is out of comission (to conserve bandwidth)

HAPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL

FYI: Stats for This month are:

#Logins 21092

Last Login 12/31/2007 11:54:37 PM

Last Known IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Files Downloaded 17926

KB Downloaded 3,045,697,088.26

Download Failed 9418

BigFloppy

Could someone please either provide the .torrent files, or re-upload the .rar/par files to usenet?

Seeing as how BigFloppy no longer is making them available at the moment, having the .torrent files or having the full .rar/par files available in the newsgroups would be nice . . .

Thanks in advance!

Think we're on for a record... 26 users downloading :shock:

You guys are killing my bandwidth

People can use the news groups... much faster to dnload.

1) www.binsearch.info > advanced > query= 'avic' > max age of post: 200 > specifiy alt.binaries.test

2) search > create .nzb file, save to desktop.

3) Import your .nzb file to SuperNZB app to dnload the image. http://www.techsono.com/supernzb/index.html

4) You'll need to know your ISP news server address... typically news.your_isp.net or .com. You will also need to know you login ID PW, typically the same as your email handle and PW.

Note: This dnload is 224 files ~50 MB each totaling 10+ gigs... so dial-up is not a option.

Also note some ISPs will cap your dnload capability to ~2gig so you may want to verify this before starting.

It is faster! Took me under 6 hours using http://www.giganews.com, the files might be there for another 30 days, other newsgroups already deleted the files.

I just did the upgrade for my Z2. I took out the 30G and put in the new 80G.

I have noticed when I went into hardware info menu and saw 26% used space and the blue bar is all most to the end. I did not have anything on it yet. I have expanded the MSV to 55.5G. Is the Z2 having problem to recognize the bigger MSV partition?

Thanks...

How did you expand the partition?

I have a new Toshiba MK8026GAX, Z2 img downloaded, Acronis Disk Director Suite and True Image Home 11.0.

I turned off the security on the 80G HD I was able to restore the Z2 image from Z2Bypassed.tib on the new HD. There is an "Unalocated" space of over 40 G and I can not expand the MSV partition.

Thanks.

I just want to give a BIG THANK YOU to both BigFloppy (for extending the deadline for the "lockdown" on his FTP site, and allowing me to download the image on Tuesday, January 1st) and to Hyperite (for creating the detailed instructions), as well as several different others who have contributed information about swapping HDD's and upgrading the Z1 to a Z2!!

I have just completed upgrading my Z1 to a Z2, using the image provided to us and installing it onto a new Toshiba MK4026GAX 40GB, 5400RPM 16MB cache HDD I purchased on Tuesday.

I did a lot of reading through several different threads, and found that the Toshiba HDD's are being used successfully, and that there are even some people imaging them and selling them on E-Bay.

I originally was going to buy one of those imaged HDD's off of E-Bay, but the two sellers I contacted refused to tell me WHICH MODEL the image was installed upon.

I wanted to know which exact model they were using, so I could compare the specifications, but because they refused to tell me chich model they were using, I SURELY wasn't going to buy something from them without knowing what I was buying!! THEIR LOSS!!

Instead, I used the knowledge I gained from reading the threads, determined that the 5400RPM HDD was an improvement in performance and chose this model, because it was 40GB (apparently, the largest truly "usable" size for this application), it was 5400RPM (which most people have indicated improves the speed of the unit) and it came with 16MB of cache, instead of the 8MB that many of the other Toshiba HDD's use (especially the 40GB ones).

Then, I downloaded the image from BigFloppy's site, and the other software listed in the first post of this thread (Acronis True Image, but version 11, as version 10 is no longer available and Magic Boot Floppy).

I was able to "mount" the partition in Acronis True Image, change the default "ORIGINAL.BMP" file (bootup splash screen; for the record, it's located in the LDATA\BG\ORIGINAL folder) to a customized one and rename the copyright warning files (in LDATA\BG\COPYRIGHT)as other members had done--PRIOR to laying the image down, so that was very handy.

One item that was NOT outlined was which partition could be extended to take up the remaining unallocated space, nor was a method mentioned.

As I continued to read, I discovered that the THIRD partition (can't remember if it's the USER or MSV) is the one that can be safely expanded, and there are several tools out there that allow you to do this, including Partition Magic, Acronis Disk Director, and a couple freeware or shareware utilities.

I originally tried to use the trial version of Acronis Disk Director, but when I attempted to move the fourth partition to the end of the unallocated space and expand the 3rd partition, I got a popup that told me I had to BUY the FULL version in order to actually DO the changes . . . so I did--it was cheaper than Partition Magic, and from what I could tell, it was at least comparable, AND--I had used Acronis True Image to lay the image down, so I figured using the same vendor for expanding the partition would be a safer move than trying a partition utility from a different vendor.

So . . . now I have a Z2, with a customized boot up splash screen that is MUCH faster than the original Z1 configuration!

THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED, but ESPECIALLY to BigFloppy and Hyperite!!!

Hello everyone. I want to join in and also thank everyone who has worked so hard and been so patient with the not-so-techy guys like me.

I just completed my Z1 to Z2 upgrade onto a new Toshiba 60gb HD and following the instructions here, everything went smoothly. With the new HD everything works fine except the unit does not recongnize that the car is moving. I hit the reset button on the front of the unit and no change. The gps is receiving a signal from sattelites. I swapped the orginal HD back in and navigation works normally.

Am I missing a step in the upgrade? I am going to wipe the new HD and redo all of the steps in the upgrade and see if this helps.

Thanks for any and all help,

Danny

OK, I got the login information from my server, but SuperNZB is giving me an error 430: no such article. What does that mean? I was able to open the NZB, I can see all the files it wants to download, but it won't download them.

What am I doing wrong? I want to have this stuff downloaded PRIOR to buying a new hard drive. (Don't want the put the expensive cart before the horse)

Hi,

My AVIC-Z1 will arrived in a couple of days.

I still need to download the upgraded image 9gb but i can't do it via newsgroups. Is it any other way i can download these files (working FTP, Torrent)??

I would appreciate if someone can post a link or let me know from where i can download the big file.

Thank you,

Zeek

Just wanted to report in my success upgrading my Z1 to a Z2. Thank you all for all your hard work in putting this together!

The only problems I ran into were trying to unscrew the HDD caddy (butter, like you all said, lol), and getting my PC to boot with the locked drive. Turns out I missed the part about having to plug it into the secondary master with no slave. Once I caught that, it was smooth sailing from there.

For matter of record, I only used the IDE adapter for unlocking and disabling security. The rest I did via the USB adapter (image Z1, restore Z2 image, manual user files copy). I also copied the files from the user data partition on the Z1 right on top of the restored files from the Z2 (I.E. drag and drop instead of restoring that particular partition). When I plugged it in, it did an update and then all my settings and addresses were intact! =) I chose not to copy over the music because, frankly, I'm tired of it and I didn't feel like waiting for it to transfer.

Besides the updated maps and POI's, my favorite new feature is being able to turn OFF the address book icon display on the map screen. I have a good deal of addresses stored around my city and the map screen was getting VERY cluttered. The new NavTraffic overlay looks MUCH nicer on the Z2, as well as the new XM icons and list controls. Plus, I like the ability to choose 2D or 3D dual map display directly from the map view - not sure why it wasn't this way in the first place. And, as I've already noted in the custom background thread, I've already customized the now changeable boot screen. I was hoping there would be some improvements in iPod control, but alas, Pioneer still insists it's good enough.

So, thanks again everyone!

Hello everyone,

If I’m not wrong, the contend of the 4 partitions (Z2 image) is just data files:

LDATA - [17.52 GB FAT32]

SDATA - [572.8 MB FAT32]

MSV - [9.308 GB FAT32]

USER - [572.8 MB FAT32]

Assuming that a brand new 80GB Toshiba HD is being used (security turned off previously) I was wondering if creating/re-sizing/formatting-FAT32 of 4 partitions: LDATA [20GB FAT32], SDATA [2GB FAT32], MSV [54GB Fat32] and USER [2GB FAT32] on this 80GB HD, copy the contend of each partition from Z2 image and paste it to the corresponding partitions on the new HD will do the work?

If this works, an image can be taken from the new 80GB HD and stored for future restores as necessary.

Thanks.

MSV [54GB Fat32] and USER [2GB FAT32] on this 80GB HD

The MSV partition becomes unstable after 20gb. Pushing it past 20gb will cause the Z1/z2 to reboot every 10 minutes or so). Set it to 20 then dump the rest of the space into USER. Other than that, copy=paste away.

Thanks "inferno".

Do I have to assign letters to these partitions?

If yes, what letters?

Also looking inside the Z2Bypassed.tib image file with Acronis, I see 4 partitions as follows:

DONT_DEL015 (G)[ 17.52 GB FAT32 ];

DONT_DEL015 (H)[ 572.8 MB FAT32 ];

DONT_DEL015 (I)[ 9.308 GB FAT32 ];

DONT_DEL015 (J)[ 572.8 MB FAT32 ].

So there is no partition's name as MSV, USER, etc. Is this OK?

I'm sorry but reading all this thread makes me a little bit confuse as long as the "how to... guide" does not cover these details.

Thanks.

Hi,

My AVIC-Z1 will arrived in a couple of days.

I still need to download the upgraded image 9gb but i can't do it via newsgroups. Is it any other way i can download these files (working FTP, Torrent)??

I would appreciate if someone can post a link or let me know from where i can download the big file.

Thank you,

Zeek

I agree, I have searched the torrents and can not find the image anywhere. And it is no longer on the newsgroups (I use EasyNews.com). Can somebody repost it on the newsgroup? Please..