AVIC411.com

iOS 8.3 released

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the public beta test of iOS 8.3 and wireless CarPlay did not work. Though I did not try it on the second or latest beta release, just on the first release. 

I do like the fact that I can just plug my iPhone in and CarPlay comes up, no more unlocking my phone just for that. 

KOT

CarPlay fixes
- Fixes an issue where Maps could come up as a black screen
- Fixes an issue where the UI could be incorrectly rotated
- Fixes an issue where the keyboard could appear on the CarPlay screen when it shouldn't

Added support for wireless CarPlay on certain vehicles and headunits

Added support to authorize auto-unlock in settings

On my 4100nex and iPhone 6 with ios 8.3...

Don't need to unlock phone when connecting. The unlock screen initially appears on the phone, but CarPlay starts without further input.

Pandora is not added to the CarPlay interface as was rumored elsewhere. Pandora still must be started on phone before it will play thru the NEX (unless I'm missing a setting somewhere). 

I did not experience any of the bugs listed in preceding post, so can't comment on that.

Wired connection still necessary on the 4100nex (again, unless I missed a setting somewhere).

Pandora is not added to the CarPlay interface as was rumored elsewhere. Pandora still must be started on phone before it will play thru the NEX (unless I'm missing a setting somewhere).

Not a rumor, Pandora has said they are going to release an update to the app. No timeline.

Pandora availability on Carplay has nothing to do with iOS. It will only be available when Pandora updates their app. Yep, no timeline was ever given. 

So far I am loving this update. Everything is running just a bit smoother. The artwork fade seems to have been brough down to where it fades to black just under the control "buttons". Unless a major bug is discovered Apple should leave everything alone. The OS finally feels totally stable. 

Pandora availability on Carplay has nothing to do with iOS. It will only be available when Pandora updates their app. 

OK. I thought Apple controlled what is available on CarPlay, and that CarPlay is part of iOS. Thanks for clarifying.

OK. I thought Apple controlled what is available on CarPlay, and that CarPlay is part of iOS. Thanks for clarifying.

They do control what is available in the sense that, they don't have to approve your implementation of Carplay with your app update. And Carplay itself is a part of iOS. But creating a Carplay interface for an app is done by the developer.

For instance, if I create an email client app, and decide to create a Carplay feature for my app that lets the user scroll through all their emails on the car display, Apple will probably reject my app update because letting people scroll and read emails via Carplay would be considered unsafe.

I never really experienced the issues that iOS 8.3 fixed, but I also noticed that it seems to run more smoothly now. Album art in CarPlay mode is still pretty dark to me, but I never really cared anyway. Album art shows up in Pandora (was than an issue before?). 

One of the best things for me is not having to unlock your phone anymore for CarPlay. Unfortunately you still have to hit  "OK" on the HU and if you want to listen to non-CarPlay media you still have to unlock your phone to do that. In other words, CarPlay doesn't unlock your phone - it operates despite the phone being locked. 

Another nice thing is in Maps, the top black banner with the zoom controls will auto hide after a few seconds. I used to always have to do this manually because I prefer the fullest screen possible when using Maps. 

On my 4100nex and iPhone 6 with ios 8.3...

Don't need to unlock phone when connecting. The unlock screen initially appears on the phone, but CarPlay starts without further input.

I did not experience any of the bugs listed in preceding post, so can't comment on that.

Wired connection still necessary on the 4100nex (again, unless I missed a setting somewhere).

Nice not to have the warning...

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=12589#responseChild84479

Prior to iOS 8.3, if you don't unlock the iPhone, you won't get to CarPlay.

I have the avh4000nex unit.  Downloaded 8.3 to my iphone 6 last night.  This morning went out to the garage and tried to get Wireless BT to select for CarPlay - and no dice.

I suspect we will need a firmware update at this point.

Just an educated guess but if the headunit grays something out then it's likely not an OS issue.

Sigh - and I wait for the solution :)