AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

Reading this thread from the beginning it would appear that the Toshiba MK8032GAX drive, available here in the GTA, is a good choice for this project.

I'm puzzled by a comment made earlier:

"I took the toshiba 60gb hdd, turned off security by putting it in my laptop...."

Could someone please explain what that means and how it's done with only a desktop?

:!: Thanks AFMagnum, awesome thread :!:

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience with Z1 to Z2 Upgrade;

11) I removed the pioneer disclaimer files (renamed the files .old but left them in place). So now only my Splash screen shows up.

which files are these?

In the partition (LDATA) there are 2 files in DIRECTORY :BG\COPYRIGHT. They are named CPYCUSTOM.BMP and CPYDEFAULT.BMP They are the bitmap files that show on any splash screen - default or custom :( . I renamed the files CPYCUSTOM.BMP.old and CPYDEFAULT.BMP.old, Leaving them in place incase the system accounts for them in some way. The disclaimers do not show up and my custom splash screen displays alone, and with no system side affects :lol: .

"I took the toshiba 60gb hdd, turned off security by putting it in my laptop...."

Could someone please explain what that means and how it's done with only a desktop?

I did mine like that. Basically just hooked it as the main HDD in a laptop and then booted with the floppy of the security removal tool made as per the awesome instructions from AFMagnum. That was easy! :lol:

More info HERE, look under "Q: How do I disable the lock on my HDD" and follow the instructions...

Good luck trying to buy the disc. I've been on the infamous waiting list for months now.

Plus non of the authorized dealers in my area have them either.

If you do the upgrade with the disc, then you have to do the 2 wire bypass cause the light flashing bypass will be disabled.

I did mine like that. Basically just hooked it as the main HDD in a laptop and then booted with the floppy of the security removal tool made as per the awesome instructions from AFMagnum. That was easy! :lol:

More info HERE, look under "Q: How do I disable the lock on my HDD" and follow the instructions...

Thanks Semo, that clears things up. :)

I'll have a go at it this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for all the information that was posted on the site for the Z2 upgrade. Hopefully, I can help some of you who were trying to save some of the settings from your old Z1. This was important to me as I had close to 100 entries in my address book.

After searching the site I could not find any information on how to save address book settings, history, recent calls list, route information, route history, etc. So, for anyone who is interested, here’s what I did when I upgraded my Z1.

To make this work you should first follow AFmagnums instructions on how to do the upgrade. Be sure to save an image of your existing HDD before starting the upgrade. Once that is complete you can follow the steps below to restore all of your information. In my case I used a new 60G Toshiba HDD instead of the existing Z1 drive but this will work with your existing drive as well. Also, I used Norton Ghost to do all this but Acronis should work as well. So, here’s the steps…

1) During the upgrade you should have made an image of your original Z1 drive. This image will be used to restore your settings. You should re-install the HDD and let it go through the update process. When this is done all your address book settings will be removed.

2) Power down and remove the HDD. Install it in your PC.

3) Using the old image from the Z1 restore the MSV (music) partition and the User partition to the newly upgraded HDD (if you have already moved your music then no need to restore the MSV partition). That’s the last two partitions on the HDD. If you left them at their original size that’s the 9.308GB and the 572.8 MB partitions. In my case I increased the MSV to30GB and expanded the User partition using the remaining space on the HDD.

4) That’s it! Now re-install the HDD to the Z2 and you will see all your information restored. Note that the Z2 will actually update the address book to Z2 format. The original address book was in the Z1 format.

From what I can tell this is what is restored:

All your music (this was explained in an earlier post, I moved music and all the user info at the same time).

Custom Backgrounds

Bluetooth info, telephone call history

Log Files

Guide info

Language

Stock info

Search info

Volume settings

Route info, route studies, trace history

Address book, memory, favorites, history, images

Thanks for all who contributed to these instructions. I was able to get it all working on the first try. It took about two hours, mostly to unlock and restore the image.

I also created a bootable CD-Image ISO out of the MHDD disk as the one PC I have that has IDE didn't have a floppy. Don't know if this was already done so sorry if this is a dupe but for those without floppy drives you can use the attached image to use a CD-ROM to disable security features on the drive instead.

'Had the same problem removing the screws that hold the HDD to the mounting plate that others have reported.

Here is a quick way to overcome:

Grind a slot into the screw head with a dremel tool and immediately, while the screw is still hot, use a good fit flat screwdiver and the sucker will come out without effort. :):idea:

Z2hdd.jpg

Add to FAQ at the top of this thread. :?: